b2 l0v3z

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
OK so Im running a i5 2500k 3.3 GHz turbo3.7GHz with a 660 ti GB can i run Skyrim and bf3 on ultra and get 60fps 1920x1080? and i want to OC my CPU but i don't know what CPU cooler to get that's not to expensive? also if i want to turn on my turbo with stock CPU fan is it going to run to hot?

For the cooler get a 212 evo. It should be around $30 and works good. If you don't have LP ram you will need to shift the fan up or change ram slots. Turbo will not make it run too hot on the stock cooler. You can get 60 fps in bf3 ultra if you turn aa to 2x. It will have minimums in the mid 40s. Skyrim will run fine modded.

Skyrim is not overly graphics card sensitive. Your GTX660ti should be plenty.

It is somewhat cpu dependent, and can use about two fast cores.
So overclocking your 2500K should help.

With the stock cooler, you can probably do 4.0, depending on the quality of your particular chip sample.
The stock cooler will spin up and be noisy.

For $30 or so, you can buy a tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan that will be quieter and do a much better job.
Look at the cm hyper212 or similar.
4.5 might be in range.

For $80 or so, the Phanteks or Noctua NH-D14 is about as good as it gets.
I don't know if the extra $50 is worth the 0.2 or so improvement you can get.

I suggest only a conservative OC. That is, one that does not alter the voltage.
Just gradually raise the multiplier in small steps, and leave the voltage and ram settings on auto.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

It should fit in the case, just make sure you have enough clearance for your ram, if your ram is not low profile and the ram slots are near your processor. Yes, your stock cooler will be fine for turbo.

Measure it. Most tower coolers are 160mm tall. That will fit most conventional cases.

Is your BF3 play single, or multiplayer.
Graphics is not that big of a requirement.
Nor is cpu for single player.
But in multiplayer, the cpu needs can be significant.

b2 l0v3z

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

its going to be for multi player only. been on consoles for a year now and haven't even put single player CD in drive.

Then plan on an OC. It really is not difficult or risky if you will be conservative about it.
Raise the multiplier gradually, and test for stability with prime95.

Most motherboards have proprietary OC programs in software, or the bios..
I would not use them. They seem to be too aggressive, and try to oc the BCLK which can be very sensitive.

You OC by setting the multiplier in the bios, just like you might set the date or the bood device.
As simple as that.

BCLK= base clock. For ivy and sandy bridge, the default is 100. When multiplied by the multiplier you get the ghz rate.
It can be changed, but past 103-105 the cpu will become unstable because it changes many other cpu timing components. Not much worth it to me. Fun for top overclockers though.

Google is your friend if you see something you don't know.

Your motherboard will do fine.
I think it comes with a good manual.
Read it cover to cover.

In the bios, gradually raise the multiplier from the default 33 in small steps.
Leave everything else on auto.
At each step, run prime95 to test for stability.
Select the option for rounding checking.
If you get any errors, you have gone too far.
Run prime95 long enough so that the temperature rise stabilizes.
Measure the temperature with realtemp. It will also show you the clock rate.
You can probably go up to 70c without issue.
If the temperature gets too hot, the cpu will downclock itself for protection.

I would not be more aggressive than that.

Prime95 is a program you download and run.
Google to find it.

The default multiplier is 33.
When you multiply that the base clock rate of 100, you get 3.3ghz.

Latest posts