Am i able to put Windows XP on a Windows 7 pre build computer?

bannanabread04

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Can I format the hard drive on my pre bought windows 7 and put windows xp on it instead because my processor cant handle windows 7, i think it would just be faster, what do you think?

Solution
It might matter. It might be looking for a certain BIOS (on my Dell, it's called SLIC 2.x) and if it doesn't see an 'HP' BIOS, it may detect it as a virus and stop installation. And no, even if you restore you can't downgrade. You need to find an original XP 2002 SP2 disc (to match your key) and install from that. Maybe download one from a torrent site or have a friend that might have one? You can even try smaller mom and pop type computer stores, see if they can burn you a copy for a nominal fee.

bannanabread04

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
sorry to even be asking this but, is there a website or something that i can go to to find if my hardware is compatible, or what i should even be looking for...

these are my specs>>>

Operating System
C1 2
• Genuine Windows®
7 Home Premium 64-bit Processor and Graphics
• Intel®
Celeron®
processor 900
o 2.20GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB
• Mobile Intel®
GL40 Express Chipset
• Intel®
Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with 128MB-828MB
dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Memory

• Configured with 2GB DDR3 (max 4GB)
• 2 main memory slots. Both slots may be occupied.
Storage Drive

• 250GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive

(i know a terrible laptop but just trying to make it faster)

scottiemedic

Distinguished
What laptop exactly is it? By these specs, I don't see any problem with running XP. As for a website, you can try the manufacturers website and see what they have in the drivers section, otherwise you'll have to go to intel for the chipset, x place for sound, y place for card reader, etc.

bannanabread04

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
so what i get out of this is that this computer is from 2009 so i don't see why its components would be only compatible with windows 7 so i guess ill give it a try and see what happens...

bannanabread04

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
and another thing i'm worried about is i don't have the software disc to put internet explorer and other "out of the box programs" am i going tobe able to get on the internet without that install disc

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Internet Explorer is part of XP. As long as XP recognizes your ethernet or wireless, you're good. I'd recommend downloading the drivers for both those unless you have another computer you can use to DL them after the install.

Start, right click Computer, properties. Open Device Manager top left. Go to Network Adapters to find out what you have.

bannanabread04

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
ok i got it to boot from cd but i'm not exactly where the disc came from i have used this disc previously to install xp onto other computers several times by formatting and creating new partitions, the disc says "for distribtion with a new pc only. forproduct support, contact the manufacture of your PC. it includes sp 2 version 2002.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Odd, what else did it say? I was also thinking, you might need the chipset preinstall drivers so windows knows where to install windows to. It's an Intel GL40 chipset, you can download drivers from Intel, or peruse the Toshiba Restore disc for the drivers.

bannanabread04

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
ok this is the exact message "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

but im pretty sure my hard drive is not corrupted im using it now...

scottiemedic

Distinguished
It might matter. It might be looking for a certain BIOS (on my Dell, it's called SLIC 2.x) and if it doesn't see an 'HP' BIOS, it may detect it as a virus and stop installation. And no, even if you restore you can't downgrade. You need to find an original XP 2002 SP2 disc (to match your key) and install from that. Maybe download one from a torrent site or have a friend that might have one? You can even try smaller mom and pop type computer stores, see if they can burn you a copy for a nominal fee.

Solution