Your question
Closed

W7 Vs XP.

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
May 26, 2009 9:55:09 PM

Topic. What kind of improvements do you users switching from XP to W7 see? Hows the gaming?

I've been a XP user every since it launched (never bothered with vista). Is it finally time for a switch?

thanks

More about : question

a b $ Windows 7
May 27, 2009 5:04:53 AM

It was time for a switch two years ago...

Windows 7 will be worth it for XP users... I'm still undecided as to whether it will be worth it for Vista users... even though I do like what I see so far.
May 27, 2009 6:47:31 AM

I have been using Windows 7 since the beta and I find it better than XP and Vista. The improvements to the UI and other features are nice, and the new shortcuts and things like aero snap are things that I find myself using on a daily basis. As for gaming I haven't tested much as of yet because I will be buying a new video card soon and then I will test how it is. Also if you have multiple computers on your network, the new Homegroup feature is 100x better than sharing files on XP or Vista that are prone to random problems.
Related resources
May 27, 2009 10:12:03 AM

I don't intend to buy Win 7, but then I didn't buy Vista either. I haven't seen a reason to buy any Windows OS since XP because I get them free anyway :D 

Haven't been overly impressed with Win 7, but I haven't tried the RC yet. Build 7000 felt snappy until about 4 reboots in, then was just as sluggish as Vista.
May 27, 2009 12:00:03 PM

I'm on an amd antlon 64 3200, 2gb ram *single channel mode also*, ati 3850.. I've swear I've seen a slight increase in fps in games. And it's just generally smoother. Although that could just be from a clean install of the OS in of itself.

But either way I doubt you see any decrease of performance, and you get a tad more extras. Of course you have the haters.. But what's it gonna hurt to give it a try. If you like it you like it, if not you just lost a little bandwidth and about 30mins-1hour.. No biggy.
May 27, 2009 4:14:48 PM

Gaming on 7 is superior to XP.
Performance is about the same (maybe slightly better on XP), but there's the small matter of DirectX 11 that makes up for the slight difference in performance.

I'd say make the switch.
May 27, 2009 4:58:29 PM

lets see i went from 98se to xp sp1 and now i got 7 not to long ago. Haven't noticed any performance hit in the switch and the new features are awesome, nothing major just little things here and there that save time and make life easier.

IMHO
win7 is to vista what 98se was to 98
a cleaned up, stabler , more feature rich version, that uses less resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2009 8:24:29 AM

W7 totally kills Xp as far as FPS in gaming goes on my machine. I dont like using 3dm for anything other than benching one machine and as such think that comparing scores with others is pretty pointless. However i get a huge boost in 3dm06 when using W7 compared to XP.

Mactronix
May 28, 2009 8:44:19 AM

What kind of improvements do you users switching from XP to W7 see?
Continued support past 2014?
If you go from x32 to x64 i'd consider that an improvement get to use whole host of x64 software.

No need to install crappy codecs because most common codecs are natively supported even h.264 and vc-1

Use of newer things like DX11 that those ati fanboys complain about dx10.1 but wont use it themselves but they want the benchmarks to skew it in ati favor :) 

I'd wait and see till it's release to pass judgments.
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2009 9:14:35 AM

I completly dissagree with you izzy, Im trying the RC of W7 and as a die hard Vista hater and lover of XP i have to say that this is what i have been waiting for.
The new OS is usable for day to day stuff, its a lot easier/ more usable than Vista as far as file management goes and gaming shows a decent improvement. Enough in my opinion to make switching worth while.
I havent gone over to 64 so im comparing like with like. I probably will go to 64 when it comes to switching however as i feel that by then it will be worth it for me.
Also as far as DX10.1 goes it was my understanding that the games are lacking in suport for it anyway ?

Mactronix
May 28, 2009 9:17:12 AM

I play Cod4 online and it has been crippled since my move to W7 as the company behind Punkbuster refuse to update the program.

This means I can no longer play online.....and effectively ended my enjoyment of the game.
May 28, 2009 9:37:38 AM

That's not Win 7's fault. PunkBuster is a load of garbage that still doesn't work in 64-bit applications.
a b $ Windows 7
May 28, 2009 9:39:23 AM

Thats handy to know, i dont play a lot of online stuff and havent tried with W7. Seems that as usual there are + and - points. I would assume that these things will get updates sooner rather than leter but you never know :) 

Mactronix
May 28, 2009 11:45:58 AM

My 2 pennies/cents worth.

I went from a pretty new (less than 2 weeks) install of Vista Home Premium 64 to Windows 7 RC 64 and noticed:
1 - faster boot
2 - smaller footprint
3 - great features
4 - more everyday things embedded (codecs for one thing)
5 - more FPS in games (WoW, Mirrors Edge and COD5)
6 - snappier feeling of OS
7 - The ONLY driver I needed was for my creative X-Fi (suprise suprise...) - even my LSI MegaRAID card was natively supported.
8 - Native support for SSD drives that took a lot of tweaking in Vista
9 - I am LOVING the new media centre
10 - I've even left the UAC replacement thing on its default as it now does what I would have expected it to at the right times, for the right reasons. In vista this was the first thing I turned off!!

The new features are great, it seems a lot more polished and stable. I have had no Blue Screens as yet. The ONLY things I have noticed so far are it takes an unresonably long time to encode MP3's in Windows Media Player. Office 2007 Outlook crapped out and needed reinstalling which is the first ever time that has happened to me (call me lucky??). And also iTunes hangs now and then. I fully think that these things are due to its "pre-release" nature and also could heavily be influenced by non-MS 3rd parties.

I bought Vista 64 as on my machine it was ok. I am TOTALLY going to buy/upgrade to the released version of 7 when I have to. Windows 7 RC is free for roughly a year and is polished enough to be a viable option for that time. Back up your system as it is now and give 7 a go... I doubt you would regret it.
May 28, 2009 1:35:36 PM

randomizer said:
That's not Win 7's fault. PunkBuster is a load of garbage that still doesn't work in 64-bit applications.

It works in Vista 64 whilst playing CoD4.

The OP was asking about gaming on W7, and it is a fact that CoD4 (one of the most popular online games for PC) cannot be played online.

Regardless of who is to blame, it is something for any potential PC gamer to consider before upgrading.

May 28, 2009 2:58:10 PM

i've seen an increase in fps on CSS/TF2 by about 10% (now at a steady 150ish lol)
May 29, 2009 3:29:02 AM

jdw_swb said:

The OP was asking about gaming on W7, and it is a fact that CoD4 (one of the most popular online games for PC) cannot be played online.

Regardless of who is to blame, it is something for any potential PC gamer to consider before upgrading.

CoD4 is one of the most pirated online games. With reports as high as half of the users using a cracked/pirated copy.
a b $ Windows 7
May 29, 2009 7:51:37 AM

How is that relevant ?

Mactronix
May 29, 2009 2:15:28 PM

I would definitely say gaming is a few FPS higher on Win7 x64 on most games I play.

...And it's finally solved the problem with GTR Evolution on Vista x64 where the game was jerky even when at 60FPS+. Yah! I can finally play it now on 7 :) 

Although you could argue that it's probably more than likely down to NVidia who have made further optimisations after having to re-write some of their driver code for Win 7?!?!
May 30, 2009 7:45:38 AM

XP runs everything I need, I think I'll wait a few months after release until we really know how stable this thing is.
May 30, 2009 8:27:20 AM

I think I'll wait for comment until I see the retail prices for W7 Pro, retail. Personally, I expect that the prices will cause an epidemic of asthma attacks unlike any the world has yet seen. A pandemic that will make the swine flu look like a storm in a teapot in comparison. (Oh wait, it already is...) Or maybe SARS. (damn, also overblown.) OK, it will be bad, really bad, with people choking and gasping for air all over the world when the prices are announced. In June, methinks. Get your inhalers now, before the run on them causes the prices to octuple overnight....
a b $ Windows 7
May 30, 2009 8:33:05 AM

Why would you buy it retail when you can get it OEM ? Seriously is there a benefit to a retail copy or not ?

Mactronix
May 30, 2009 9:16:25 AM

mactronix said:
Why would you buy it retail when you can get it OEM ? Seriously is there a benefit to a retail copy or not ?

Mactronix

I suppose that all depends on just how far MS wants to go in enforcing the EULA. The OEM EULA is only for that build, and in the case of Vista even upgrading the CPU can be an issue. Everytime I re-install Vista or XP, I have to call the support number, get a god-awful long string of 5 digit groups, then input those groups to get another, even longer string to enter as my new key. Why? Because I changed my MB from an ASUS to a DFI. And I have retail versions. I have friends that upgraded their RAM, and were told to get a new copy. They had OEM. WGA is a wonderful thing, is it not?
May 30, 2009 9:58:09 AM

Surely 10mins on the phone every 6-12 months or so (depending how often you upgrade) to save yourself £50+ is worth it?
May 30, 2009 10:17:22 AM

inquisitor03 said:
Surely 10mins on the phone every 6-12 months or so (depending how often you upgrade) to save yourself £50+ is worth it?

I don't mind the phone call, it is a freecall here in AUS. But if I were told that I'd have to buy a new license, then how would I have saved any dosh? Read the OEM EULA. You know, that 27 page document that you are supposed to read before you break the seal?

From the XP OEM EULS...

"Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED,
TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE is
licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated product and may only be used with the HARDWARE. If the
SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may not use the SOFTWARE. You may permanently
transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE (including all component parts, the media and printed
materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this
EULA. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE."

As said previously, a friend could not use his OEM copy simply because he upgraded his RAM. I thought that this was a bit draconian, but apparently MS did not agree.
May 30, 2009 12:33:45 PM

jdw_swb said:

And CoD4 runs in 32-bit mode, just like most things. Try Crysis in 64-bit mode, no PB. In fact, that's why 95% of servers don't have PB running because too many people wouldn't be able to join. Thus Crysis is so full of hackers it's not funny.
May 30, 2009 3:18:15 PM

Croc
I have an oe copy of xp and have never had a significant problem reinstalling, up maybe 15 times now. First 6 or so it just went online and verified its self, now I have to call. If I haven't changed any hardware i tell them it got a virus or if I change hardware tell them the old piece fried and it was a mandatory upgrade. And that's it they say thank you and give me a new confirmation number.

FYI
takes less than 5 min each time
this is the 3rd completely new build with every part swapped on all three builds at some point.
May 30, 2009 10:43:04 PM

505090 said:
Croc
I have an oe copy of xp and have never had a significant problem reinstalling, up maybe 15 times now. First 6 or so it just went online and verified its self, now I have to call. If I haven't changed any hardware i tell them it got a virus or if I change hardware tell them the old piece fried and it was a mandatory upgrade. And that's it they say thank you and give me a new confirmation number.

FYI
takes less than 5 min each time
this is the 3rd completely new build with every part swapped on all three builds at some point.

I guess my friend just caught the licensing minions on a bad day. Nevertheless, according to MS's eula, in your case they were just being polite. So I get retail versions. Perhaps I am a fool for spending the money, but at least I am a legal fool....
May 30, 2009 11:02:40 PM

i will switch to win7 for sure older games for some reason its slower then XP but newer games seem faster then XP i dont know why maybe i just think im see a difference? either way DX11 is enough for me to get win7
May 31, 2009 5:38:51 AM

I went from XP 32 to Windows 7 64, and have been extremely happy so far. The interface is much, much better and things feel cleaner and more advanced. It's time to move on. This is a good bit of sw
May 31, 2009 6:28:32 AM

I have Win 7 RC installed on my laptop that originally had WinXP Pro on it, and, I have to say, its performance was extremely surprising. I noticed little or no difference in startup boot times, and the general loading of applications is the same, with IE8 and certain games loading slightly faster than in XP. I'm incredibly impressed on what Microsoft has done with Win7, even for an RC/Beta.

I would definitely switch to Win7 when it is released, plus it has the added bonus of WinXP Mode and virtualisation tools, so if there are any compatibility issues with Win7, I'll just use XP Mode.
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2009 8:23:28 AM

The main point with myself is that its not a difficult transition between W7 and XP. Vista was totally alien to me but while different W7 is more intuitive. I have had XP for a good while now and see no reason to loose it. I will either build a new W7 machine or continue to run two hard drives one with XP and another with W7. My 3850 came and went without seeing a single DX10 game which seems a shame, and keeping up is what this game is all about. So given the new/differant, if not exactly mindblowing effects of DX10 and the release of DX 11 around the corner i see more reasons to change to W7 than reasons against, unlike Vista which had both technical and financial reasons to leave well alone.

Mactronix
May 31, 2009 8:45:58 AM

mactronix said:
The main point with myself is that its not a difficult transition between W7 and XP. Vista was totally alien to me but while different W7 is more intuitive. I have had XP for a good while now and see no reason to loose it. I will either build a new W7 machine or continue to run two hard drives one with XP and another with W7. My 3850 came and went without seeing a single DX10 game which seems a shame, and keeping up is what this game is all about. So given the new/differant, if not exactly mindblowing effects of DX10 and the release of DX 11 around the corner i see more reasons to change to W7 than reasons against, unlike Vista which had both technical and financial reasons to leave well alone.

Mactronix

Personally I don't see that many differences in the user interface from Vista to XP. Maybe a few 'deck chairs' were rearranged. And once you get into it, XP isn't really all that different either. The UAC on W7 is quite an improvement, and I had hoped that the rumours of that making it into Vista SP2 would be more than rumours, but not to be. No WinFS either, so W7 is just really not that much of an upgrade as much as it is a new paint job, a wee bit of landscaping.
a b $ Windows 7
May 31, 2009 11:41:16 AM

Well the stand out issue for me with Vista was the layers you needed to go through just to uninstall something, and that was after you found the correct menu in the first place. Along with the stupid idea of putting games in a folder that were read only so you couldn't save games and then it defaulted some games to the games folder under start games, as in along with solitaire and black jack etc.
Fine if
A. You knew it was going to do that
and
B. You knew more about computers than how to turn it on and off.

For the average user these issues required a level of user input that is just plain beyond them.
Im not exactly new at this and it took me about 5 mins to find and delete the first game my wife put on her laptop.

As i said all these things are fine if you know what you are doing but the average buy it plug it in and off you go user would get very frustrated very quickly. Its just not end user friendly.

W7 has not given me any issues like that, in fact checking to see if i could find links to these types of menu's was one of the first things i did when i installed it and it took about 5 clicks instead of 5 mins.

I have used XP Vista and W7 now and it could just be my level of understanding which while above average is not exactly IT level. However i really do find that Vista is a pain to navigate around while W7 is more intuitive to me. If thats because its similar to XP or just that its intuitive full stop i dont know.
Still each to their own i guess.

Mactronix :) 
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2009 5:52:34 AM

Control Panel --> Programs and Features.

People seem to like to make things unnecessarily hard sometimes... and I swear I don't understand why. Never had an issue installing / uninstalling or saving games... so I really can't address any of those issues. Windows 7 is more like Vista than it is XP... but then you could also make Vista look like XP if you really missed XP's style.

I guess what I'm having trouble understanding is how even though Windows 7's interface is very close to Vista's, people somehow find it more intuitive. To me, it's exactly the same with a bit more polish.
June 2, 2009 6:15:48 AM

Zoron said:
I guess what I'm having trouble understanding is how even though Windows 7's interface is very close to Vista's, people somehow find it more intuitive. To me, it's exactly the same with a bit more polish.

Placebo effect. Others say it is better and the media loves it so people will make themselves love it subconsciously. Wouldn't want to miss out on jumping on the Win 7 hype bandwagon now would we?
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2009 7:34:11 AM

Zoron said:
Control Panel --> Programs and Features.

People seem to like to make things unnecessarily hard sometimes... and I swear I don't understand why. Never had an issue installing / uninstalling or saving games... so I really can't address any of those issues. Windows 7 is more like Vista than it is XP... but then you could also make Vista look like XP if you really missed XP's style.

Dont see how its down to people making things unnecessarily hard. The menu is either easy to navigate and intuative or it isnt.
There were plenty of peole all over the forums complaining about this when Vista first launched, enough certainly for MS to think that changing it might be a good idea. If it wasnt the case and as you seem to be implying there wasnt an issue then they wouldnt have changed it.

mactronix
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2009 1:11:32 PM

...but Control Panel ==>> Programs & Features ==>> Add/Remove is exactly the same path/logic as XP.

It didn't change, so how could it possibly be more difficult?
June 2, 2009 1:25:54 PM

Nobody used the "menus" in XP though. It was all the classic layout. I don't run classic in Vista though, too many icons and I'd never find what I'm after.
a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2009 2:27:47 PM

Scotteq said:
...but Control Panel ==>> Programs & Features ==>> Add/Remove is exactly the same path/logic as XP.

It didn't change, so how could it possibly be more difficult?

Here is an excert from one of many reviews who dissagree with you.

" Who Rearranged the Furniture?

Here's a note for the programmers working on the next version of Windows: Moving stuff around doesn't necessarily make it better, just harder to find. Vista's chock-full of settings and tools that have been rearranged, renamed, or reorganized for no apparent reason.

Want to change your display properties? In XP you would right-click the desktop and then go down to 'Properties'. In Vista, it's 'Personalize'. Want to use 'Add or Remove Programs' to uninstall some software? Sorry. That capability is now under 'Programs and Features' in the Classic Start Menu or just plain 'Programs' in the default view.

It's not that the new names and locations are harder to use, it's that there's no particular need for the changes. And the new names tend to be vaguer than the ones they replace."

As i said it confused enough people for MS to change it back to closer to how it used to be in XP, that and its XP users that are holding things up so if you dont make life easier they wont be interested.

Mactronix

a b $ Windows 7
June 2, 2009 3:47:25 PM

Precisely why technology advances at a snail's pace. You can't change things too much, otherwise people start complaining.

To me though, it seems simple and logical enough. Ok, so it's not called "Add/Remove Programs" anymore. Once you've found that it has been renamed "Programs and Features", it's simple enough to remember that. People resist change, however... and once they get angry they dig their heels in and refuse to accept the change... no matter how easy it is to get used to. Once people make up their minds that they don't like Vista (whether or not they've actually used it), they'll immediately find some reason to hate it.

People want Windows to get better... or at least that's what they say. Unfortunately, if MS tries to actually make a few changes for the better, people complain that it's too different. "Personalize" actually makes more sense to me for changing desktop display options than "Properties". Of course, the latter is so entrenched in people's minds that changing it to make more sense would confuse them.

XP users don't want easier... they want the same. There's a difference.
June 3, 2009 12:26:32 AM

I have enough crap to remember. My job loads me with things to remember. I have 11 long passwords all of which change periodically, just as a quick example and that's nothing compared to the rest. I have a family, bills, everything you could imagine.

I am just too damned tired to have to relearn a stupid OS. Add/Remove Programs says EXACTLY what it should say. This adds and removes programs.

Why change it?

Style. Only answer.

I don't have time or room in my life for stupid style. Maybe you browse Vogue, but that's not my way. Call the damned thing what it is and be done with it so I don't have to waste my time dinking around and then trying to relearn it.

If the consumer is frustrated because the tool is cumbersome, it is always the fault of poor design. I am without a doubt smarter than your average person, and I have all I can handle in front of me. What about all those other poor people who can hardly handle remembering the day to day stuff, let alone this kind of nonsense.

Win 7 is definitely better, because it is designed more intuitive and more in keeping with transition. Maybe you would be fine replacing the steering wheel in your car with levers such as found in a Bobcat. Good for you. Many people would be fine. Some wouldn't. The point is the steering wheel works fine and we all understand it, so leave the damned thing alone.
June 3, 2009 6:52:31 AM

Personally I like change, I like to see things changing constantly. I don't like standing still.

Guys this is how we improve on our original ideas by change. Sure some may work some not but without trying no one will ever know.

Personally I think Win7 hasn't gone far enough from Vista and I would've liked to see further changes. Especially knowing that this is it, this is what I am going to be using for the next 2 years until the next windows comes out.

If we didnt have change we would all still be using windows XP 6 years after it's release... Oh wait, we are.... oh dear!

a b 4 Gaming
June 3, 2009 7:10:09 PM

You'll get DX10 and 11 on Win 7. As game programmers have gotten use to DX10 games have been looking better and better. You'll miss out on those visuals sticking with XP. Of course, if you're running DX9 GPUs like a 1900XTX or something then that's nost much of a selling point ^_^.

Personally I feel that XP is easier to administer and repair. For vista I simply use a restore image rather than mess with it like I do XP. I hope that Win7 will make some progress towards this, but we'll see.
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2009 8:48:15 PM

@ divpers
Well said. [:lectrocrew:5]

The thing is we can get change in very easily. All they had to do was have it say Programs/ Features with Install programs written underneath it as they do in W7. Then people would associate the word features with the install process and by now (W7) they could have droped the description from underneath it.

People are not physic, change is good i agree but change for changes sake is just asking for trouble.

This goes deeper that just users and OS's Why do you think there are so few native DX10 games ?
The reason is because the devs are used to coding in DX9 and see know reason to change. They have been given no incentive to learn to code in DX10 so they dont.

If I'm getting something out of relearning something then i may make the effort but to be asked to relearn something because some pillock at Redmond thinks the word features is funky... sorry but no.

Mactronix
June 3, 2009 11:21:47 PM

I for one HATE xp, I even like vista better. Even though it needs more power a lot of the stuff just makes sense. Windows 7 is an amazing improvement from vista, and xp. Very high framerates, i can get 30-40fps on crysis warhead enthusiast (highest) 1920x1200 no AA
a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2009 2:58:16 AM

The car steering wheel / bobcat levers analogy just doesn't work. Changing the name of the function just isn't analagous to changing the entire function. It took me maybe two seconds at the most to realize that "Add and Remove Programs" became "Programs and Features" in Vista... but then I was prepared for the fact that things would change with a completely new OS. I'm not saying change for change's sake is necessarily good... but I am saying that unless it's radically different and impossible to find, it's simply not worth complaining about.

Complaining for complaining's sake is even worse than change for change's sake. A lot of people want to hate Vista no matter what. Fine with me. I'll use the latest and greatest while others limit themselves with a near decade-old OS.
a b $ Windows 7
June 4, 2009 9:03:41 PM

@ Zoron,

I think you are being blinkered in your views as far as this goes, you had the perception to realise what MS had done; good for you, go to the top of the class if you like, but don't try and argue counter points to proven issues by splitting hairs over the difference between controls and functions.
Ms agrees that it was a mistake to make such changes or else they wouldn't have changed it again. Yes the interface is similar to vista but that's just cosmetic, it functions more like a cross with Vista and XP, its what i would have liked to see in Vista in the first place.

Vista was/is a badly designed OS. That's a fact that is backed by MS changing so much in W7, Some say W7 is only little more than Vista SP2. Well if that's even close to correct then i have to award MS with the trophy for most amazing SP ever.

One of W7's main advantages has more to do with the fact that it is just an OS upgrade. With Vista a lot of people would have needed to invest in extra Hardware as well as the OS, More Ram and a DX10 GPU in some cases to get the most out of it. W7 has the advantage that many more people have the DX10 GPU and 2GB + is almost standard now, which seems to be plenty for W7.
You like and are happy with Vista, well that's good but you are in the minority that wont change. MS have more right or less wrong with W7 depending on how you want to look at it.
Its no surprise its popular, someone said earlier that people are just jumping on a band wagon, bit ironic that considering you cant post anything without someone screaming "link" presumably from the same reviewers and press whose bandwagon we are all jumping on.

Mactronix
June 6, 2009 7:51:39 PM

randomizer said:
I don't intend to buy Win 7, but then I didn't buy Vista either. I haven't seen a reason to buy any Windows OS since XP because I get them free anyway :D 

YEAH! same here lol.
June 6, 2009 7:56:05 PM

IzzyCraft said:
What kind of improvements do you users switching from XP to W7 see?
Continued support past 2014?
If you go from x32 to x64 i'd consider that an improvement get to use whole host of x64 software.

No need to install crappy codecs because most common codecs are natively supported even h.264 and vc-1

Use of newer things like DX11 that those ati fanboys complain about dx10.1 but wont use it themselves but they want the benchmarks to skew it in ati favor :) 

I'd wait and see till it's release to pass judgments.

Yes, I've noticed too that with W7, my laptop ran my disks better. Overall an improvement, but there are a lot of gimmicks too. Lol, they still use a key.....
!