Telus to Rogers GSM: Smart Move?

dp

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.rogersatt (More info?)

Hi,

I got a little bit bored with Telus after the latest 3-year contract with
them, and some time without contract before that.

As I travel to Europe time to time and plan to do so even more often, I am
looking to GSM as a natural choice.
Thus Rogers GSM.

I have a couple of questions at that point to the experts and Rogers GSM
users:
- If I buy an unlocked phone in Europe, would I be able to use it with
Rogers GSM network (with 416/647 number of course)?
- If I buy a locked GSM phone from Rogers, would I be able to unlock it
easily and use overseas, and then face no problems to use this unlocked
phone with Rogers GSM?
- How you describe the Rogers GSM coverage in GTA/Ontario/Quebec?
Comparisons to Telus CDMA coverage highly appreciated.
- How extensive is US GSM coverage? How convenient is to use Rogers GSM
phones during the trips to US?
- What about the GSM coverage in Caribbean?

That's all for now :)

Thanks a lot in advance,
DP

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:47:09 -0400, "DP" <no@email.com> wrote:

>I have a couple of questions at that point to the experts and Rogers GSM
>users:
>- If I buy an unlocked phone in Europe, would I be able to use it with
>Rogers GSM network (with 416/647 number of course)?

The only problem of buying a GSM phone in Europe is if you buy a
"tri-band" world phone it will only be GSM 900/1800 and 1900. Prior
to three or so years ago the only GSM frequency in the Americas was
1900. Now there is also GSM "850" since that's the case some
manufacturers such as Nokia and Ericsson make two different tri-band
phones one with 900/1800/1900 and the other with 850/1800/1900. The
predominant GSM band in Europe is 900 with secondary service with
1800. You'll be OK for the most part in Europe with 1800 only but 900
is really the better choice.

That being said there are some manufacturers with quadband devices,
Motorola, NEC, Palm PDAs, Blackberry PDAs and likely others as well.

>- If I buy a locked GSM phone from Rogers, would I be able to unlock it
>easily and use overseas, and then face no problems to use this unlocked
>phone with Rogers GSM?

Yes, you could do this. Some phones are more easily unlocked than
others. Nokias you can easily find unlocking code generators to
download on the net or find an on line site that will do it for you.
If you're in the GTA you should be able to find a business that can
unlock it for you as well.

>- How you describe the Rogers GSM coverage in GTA/Ontario/Quebec?
>Comparisons to Telus CDMA coverage highly appreciated.

Sorry, no personal experience so couldn't say.

>- How extensive is US GSM coverage? How convenient is to use Rogers GSM
>phones during the trips to US?

US GSM coverage now is a lot better than it was even three years ago.
Since AT&T Wireless (now part of cingular) and cingular have combined
along with T-Mobile's coverage you should be pretty well set as a
Rogers roamer since I believe Rogers has roaming agreements with both
cingular and with T-Mobile. You should have pretty rock solid
coverage with either cingular or T-Mobile in urban areas. In
non-urban areas cingular may do better especially if you have a
handset that is capable of GSM 850.

http://www.gsmworld.com