Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Random stutterings on windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
February 2, 2013 6:17:07 PM

Is there some way to monitor program latency spikes for active programs. I have random stutterings on windows 8, it's not from HDD, i've tested it with more than one.
My specs are:
P5W DH Deluxe
E6600 @ 3.3ghz
Ati HD 7700 with the latest drivers from ati

I had an opened thread that was closed because i bumped it with more info:
Random Stuttering on Windows 8

Please help me :) 

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 6:56:27 PM

Try the new Task Manager. From there move up to Resource Monitor. Perfmon can be used to look at you computer more closely and can run in the background
February 5, 2013 2:01:53 AM

went back to windows 7. It's some drivers issue, windows 8 is officially awful on my computer
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2013 4:49:52 AM

Hi jgamito, I think I might be having a similar issue as you and was following your previous thread until it was closed (seemed a little harsh). My stuttering seems to happen every 10-15 minutes for a second or two. At first I thought it only occurred when playing video, though it is actually happening in all applications, it's just easier to spot with speech or music.

My system was rock solid with Windows 7, but as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8 it started happening. My current system:

Asus P7P55D EVO
i5 750
GTX 660 Ti (upgraded from a Radeon HD 5850 since installing Windows 8)
8Gb DDR3 (also upgraded since installing Windows 8)
Asus Xonar D2
Crucial C300 128Gb (data on seperate
Genuine Windows 8 x64

I've tried the following:
- Fresh OS install.
- Changing RAM
- Upgrading GPU
- Disabling Xonar audio card and using on board audio (with Asus Xonar drivers removed).

I'm currently running LatencyMon to see what that turns up, will post results when I'm done.

Shame to hear you had to go back to Windows 7, I'm determined to persevere, though this problem is driving me mad!

Cheers

Jim
m
l
April 7, 2013 8:06:12 AM

ibjim said:
Hi jgamito, I think I might be having a similar issue as you and was following your previous thread until it was closed (seemed a little harsh). My stuttering seems to happen every 10-15 minutes for a second or two. At first I thought it only occurred when playing video, though it is actually happening in all applications, it's just easier to spot with speech or music.

My system was rock solid with Windows 7, but as soon as I upgraded to Windows 8 it started happening. My current system:

Asus P7P55D EVO
i5 750
GTX 660 Ti (upgraded from a Radeon HD 5850 since installing Windows 8)
8Gb DDR3 (also upgraded since installing Windows 8)
Asus Xonar D2
Crucial C300 128Gb (data on seperate
Genuine Windows 8 x64

I've tried the following:
- Fresh OS install.
- Changing RAM
- Upgrading GPU
- Disabling Xonar audio card and using on board audio (with Asus Xonar drivers removed).

I'm currently running LatencyMon to see what that turns up, will post results when I'm done.

Shame to hear you had to go back to Windows 7, I'm determined to persevere, though this problem is driving me mad!

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim, I have recently got the time to reinstall windows 8 and try do narrow down what could be causing this. Turns out it may be some bad ram, I'm still testing but since I removed the 2x1gb kingston ram i havent seen any stuttering. Keep testing and show me the results, i might be able to help you.

Cheers
João
m
l
April 7, 2013 10:51:17 AM

Cheers João, bad RAM is always hard to find, it always messes up in new weird and wonderful ways!

Right, after running LatencyMon, I was getting very high DCP latency from tcpip.sys (~100ms). I managed to find a more up to date driver for my LAN (Realtek PCIe 8112L) on the Realtek website, have disabled "Green Ethernet" in the device properties, disabled the unused LAN port in the Bios and set a static IP address.

Just for good measure I also disabled HDMI Audio drivers for my GPU as I use DVI anyway, and set the RAM timing manually rather than leaving it on automatic in the Bios.

It seems to be Ok so far (3 hours now), will report back if anything else happens. LatencyMon is reporting the highest execution DPC time of 0.778ms for nvlddmkm.sys which I think is acceptable. I do seem to still have a high (full bar) hard pagefault count, is that normal?
m
l
April 7, 2013 3:37:53 PM

Yeah, i think so. Page fault isn't necessarily a bad thing and its quite common on windows, but don't trust me on this 100%, im no expert. Hope it was only a driver issue and you have now fixed it. Cheers
m
l
!