First time build. Need some advice. Anything is appreciated :)

nolanb13

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Hi guys,
This is my first attempt at building a Gaming PC, and I've got about 2k to splash around for the PC +extra for accessories, OS and monitors.
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on my current choice of hardware.
I'm pretty set on the CPU at the moment, but I'm unsure with the 8gb of RAM, and I don't know if my current Motherboard will be able to support any more sticks.
Any advice on any component would be helpful though. Thanks

Component Details Price
$
CPU Intel Core i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge 4c/4t) 225
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 G1.Sniper 3 290
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 Low Profile 1.5v 54
GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature 2 500
Case Cooler Master HAF X 168
Boot Drive Plextor 256 GB SATA III 199
Storage Drive Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM 110
Optical Drive LG Super Multi Blue 79
PSU Corsair Professional Series  AX 750 160
CPU Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H100 190

Also, does anyone have recommendations for coolers that would work well with the Cooler Master HAF X ?

Thanks a heap for any advice :D

nolanb13

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

Thanks for the advice . Just a quick question, isn't the 7970 only compatible with AMD processors?

No. AMD gpus work with Intel AND AMD cpus. There are people on here spreading misinformation about this. Don't listen to them. I have an i5-3570k and a 7870. Works great. I would recommend getting an Asrock extreme 4 z77. It's a lot cheaper.

nolanb13

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
thanks a heap fellas. I'll take your recommendations into consideration. With motherboards, what does a more expensive one get you? Is it worth putting that extra money into other components, it is it really necessary to invest the big dollars?

A $2K build is too nice to waste on a HAF. Take a look at Fractal Design, Lian Li, Antec, or Silverstone. I used to buy Crappermaster cases, years ago before I knew better. My current Fractal Design case is so much nicer in every way.
Check out WD Black hard drives; they're the only non-enterprise drives to retain a five year warranty. They're also fast.
The GTX670 is almost as fast as the GTX680, but costs a LOT less.
That mobo looks expensive too; I can't help but think you could find one with the features you want for $100 less. It could be another Gigabyte, or Asus; perhaps ASRock.