Which 6pin can i use in my 7850 card

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
so i got my xfx radeon 7850 2gb card in the mail today and it requires 2 6pin pci-e plugs

my computer is open on my bed right now,

went to plug in the power cords and realized my 650 rosewell psu have 2 cords that end in 6pin pci express plugs but on just one cord it has 2 6pic, one named pci-e and the other 6pin on the cord is called SLI ready..

can i just plug in one cord into my card using the pci-e and the sli ready ? they are both 6pin afterall. and are on the same cord..

or should i play it safe and jsut use 2 cords and use both pci-e plugs?

i would hate to have 2 cords leading across my case to get into my card....

Solution

That has a single 54A rail, so it won't matter which plugs you use, they all draw from the same source. Hook it up however is most convenient.

twelve25

Distinguished
Normally I would say that you should check and see how many rails and amps per rail, but the 7850 should only need on PCIe connector anyway. Some companies have reused 7870 PCBs to save money and those all have 2 PCIe connectors. So it should be fine just to use both from one rail as it doesn't need more than one connector worth of power to run the 7850.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Are you talking about a little 2 pin extender on the end of the plug?

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
maybe i jsut shouldnt risk it and jsut use both cords anyways? paid 200 bucks for the card so def not worth the risk

my psu is Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650 650W

but hanks for the info at least, even though it wasnt reasurring lol

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

no lol they both do have 2pins to extend them into 8pin connectors though,

but the sli ready and pci-e 6pin plugs are on just one cord

twelve25

Distinguished

That has a single 54A rail, so it won't matter which plugs you use, they all draw from the same source. Hook it up however is most convenient.

Solution