Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Driving me crazy :/

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2012 8:09:31 PM

Hi guys,

I recently ran into a fair bit of money and decided to pick a new graphics cards for my first build (I had previously selected one, but want to splurge myself now :p ) and have had trouble deciding between a 7970 or a gtx 670. and yes, I know, the 7970 has better frames and a larger memory bandwidth than the gtx 670, but the 670 costs less and has features such as adaptive vsync and physx (I know that it only works in certain games, but I enjoy the eye candy.) My budget is around $430 USD, and I want the best value for my money.

I was previously going to get a 7950, but the extra money made me reconsider the choices for my gpu and what a higher-end card has to offer for gaming.

I play planetside 2, minecraft, hawken, and occasionally bf3. I intend to play most of this and next year's games at max and at 1080p (which is why I'm considering the nvidia, but at least try to persuade me otherwise) and am itching to get in on PC gaming, since I was previously limited to consoles :cry: 

My options are: get the 7970 or 670 (I was looking forward to either the gigabyte or msi power edition 670/sapphire toxic 7970 or his 7970) or, wait until next year until the 700 or 8000 series is released :??: 

The second option is a little of an annoyance for me, as I really want to play now, but it may be worth it...

Current build specs: i5 3570k/asrock z77 extreme 4 lga 1155/haf 912/hyper 212+/antec earthwatts 650w/WD 1 tb blue/and a bunch of case fans for maximum airflow.

Please respond as soon as you can, so I can leave this thread satisfied and buy my card so I can destroy my games. This question is absolutely killing me, and I want you guys to help me out.

More about : driving crazy

October 31, 2012 9:57:52 PM

The 7970 overclocked pulls slightly ahead overclocked 680s. 7970 can be clocked to 1325 MHz and 680 can be clocked to 1300MHz. But as of right now the 7950 is the best bang for buck. It can be overclocked to about the same as 7970 and perform just under that and beat some low oc'ed 680s. I think AMD won the high end video card battle because of their overclock-ability. I can personally vouch for the 7950 as I have 2 clocked to 1235MHz and absolutely rip games apart. I have these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The vapor-x cooler is amazing and increases the overclocking potential of the cards. And overclocking with AMD is easier than nVidia because the card comes with a program that allows you to do it without downloading a third part program like nVidia cards have to.
Score
October 31, 2012 10:46:12 PM

Limerick said:
The 7970 overclocked pulls slightly ahead overclocked 680s. 7970 can be clocked to 1325 MHz and 680 can be clocked to 1300MHz. But as of right now the 7950 is the best bang for buck. It can be overclocked to about the same as 7970 and perform just under that and beat some low oc'ed 680s. I think AMD won the high end video card battle because of their overclock-ability. I can personally vouch for the 7950 as I have 2 clocked to 1235MHz and absolutely rip games apart. I have these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The vapor-x cooler is amazing and increases the overclocking potential of the cards. And overclocking with AMD is easier than nVidia because the card comes with a program that allows you to do it without downloading a third part program like nVidia cards have to.

Wait..you have 2 of them? WELL DAYUUUMMM SON. But thanks for the reply. It's just too bad that the card is being discontinued. You didn't answer about the monitor resolution though, and I don't plan to overclock my card much at all, more or less my cpu if it calls for it. I have another question though, it is more effective to oc your cpu or gpu nowadays? Oh, about the card. I have heard that it's voltage is locked so you can't overclock it much at all, but your evidence proves otherwise? Just confused. lol.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:00:46 PM

Well the gtx670 can max out any game @1080p, when playing metro I get about ~30fps on maximum settings(with physx). Plus when overclocked it can match a gtx680. But both a hd7970 or a gtx670 will be able to max out all the games you are looking to play. The hd7970 will have more performance though. The gtx670 is easy to overclock, but nvidia locked the voltage to 1.175v. However a bios mod can unlock it which will allow you to attain higher clock speeds. The hd7970 is a beast when overclocked too, and when overclocked you will get some really nice performance. The gtx670 draws less power, and runs cool. If you get a non reference model like a gigabyte windforce or asus direct cu you will have some serious cooling power too.

Hope this helps!
November 1, 2012 8:35:09 PM

Best answer selected by DanteIsOnFire.
Score
!