Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX660 or 7870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 31, 2012 8:41:34 PM

My budget for the GPUwas originally like £150 or less but after taking notes on what people told me on here i thought saving up and getting a better one will be a better option.
Now after a lot of researching and asking im down to just 2 GPU's!! yay
But i dont know which one to get, someone told me on the forums the Radeon 7870 is shite, dont remember why they said it but they marked it out. and the gtx660 ive heard alot about and alot of people suggested it through out this forum.

Anyway the
GTX660 http://www.cclonline.com/product/88749/NE5X66001049-106...
or
Radeon 7870? http://www.kikatek.com/P268942/FX-787A-CNFC-XFX-Radeon-...
Or if you know of any decent cards for under £180 let me know! but i think its really down to these 2 for quality and price comparison.

More about : gtx660 7870

a c 199 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 8:52:05 PM

I would take the HD7870. Compute performance is not crippled (which doesn't matter [much] in today's games, but might in tomorrow's), nor is memory bandwidth (which does matter, especially if you like lots of AA).
October 31, 2012 9:00:26 PM

What does AA stand for ? :s
Related resources
October 31, 2012 9:05:12 PM

Anti Aliasing = AA

7870, Hands down, overclocks great, performs great in stock.
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 9:05:59 PM

AA smoothes edges in games and makes it look better. ATI radeon cards are known to be better at handling it than nVidia.

The 7870 gets my vote also.
October 31, 2012 9:31:14 PM

Definately a result i wasnt expecting :o 
If i was to buy the 7870 Which make/company should i get it from? (EVGA/MSI/RADEON/ETC...)
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 9:44:31 PM

I have the GTX660 and love it, no issues what so ever. Very stable and I get ~60 FPS on skyrim all on ultra. Can't speak for the 7870, but it must be good too.
October 31, 2012 10:03:13 PM

Definitely go for the 7870. Its overclock-ability is great. As said above compute performance isn't crippled. And amazing for lots of AA
October 31, 2012 10:09:01 PM

Sometimes a game or two that you know you'll be playing often will skew more towards one card vs. the other. In general though I would go for the 7870.
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 10:11:38 PM

Any brand should be ok. My pick would be the Sapphire, it has a nice cooler. You could go for ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI.
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 10:15:25 PM

Here what i would suggest do you plan to overclock ?Also Look at current benchmarks the card that favors the games you play pick that.
a c 199 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 10:18:55 PM

The brands I like for Radeon cards are XFX, HIS, and Sapphire. I've had 2/4 Asus video cards die within hours or days of first use; as great as their mobos are, I don't have the same faith in their graphics cards.
I'm running all XFX cards in my own rigs right now; other recent builds also include HIS and Sapphire.
I'd also trust MSI for video cards (but not for mobos; they're a reverse of Asus).
a c 118 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 10:27:05 PM

damien_95 said:
My budget for the GPUwas originally like £150 or less but after taking notes on what people told me on here i thought saving up and getting a better one will be a better option.
Now after a lot of researching and asking im down to just 2 GPU's!! yay
But i dont know which one to get, someone told me on the forums the Radeon 7870 is shite, dont remember why they said it but they marked it out. and the gtx660 ive heard alot about and alot of people suggested it through out this forum.

Anyway the
GTX660 http://www.cclonline.com/product/88749/NE5X66001049-106...
or
Radeon 7870? http://www.kikatek.com/P268942/FX-787A-CNFC-XFX-Radeon-...
Or if you know of any decent cards for under £180 let me know! but i think its really down to these 2 for quality and price comparison.


Hi - Best thing to do is take bigcyco's advice, if you look at Anandtech bench comparison of these
2 cards it looks like a 60-40 split in favor of hd7870, but the games that the 660 outperform
the 7870 might be a lot of the games you play.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660

Tom
October 31, 2012 10:28:52 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Here what i would suggest do you plan to overclock ?Also Look at current benchmarks the card that favors the games you play pick that.


Thing is im not going to overclock now because with the set up im going to do i should be able to play the games i want to play easily (counter strike go, some mmo's and ill probably start playing most recent games like skyrim bf3 halo... since ill have a good pc)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
HDD: Western Digital 500GB
PSU: XFX ProSeries 550W Core edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP Memory 8GB 1600MHz
Heatsink:Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler
GPU: In progress But i think ill go with the 7870
Case: In progressor (Zalman z11 but not sure..)
October 31, 2012 10:34:24 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - Best thing to do is take bigcyco's advice, if you look at Anandtech bench comparison of these
2 cards it looks like a 60-40 split in favor of hd7870, but the games that the 660 outperform
the 7870 might be a lot of the games you play.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660

Tom


Thanks, i never knew how to find these comparison benchmarks.
a c 186 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 10:37:20 PM

damien_95 said:
Thing is im not going to overclock now because with the set up im going to do i should be able to play the games i want to play easily (counter strike go, some mmo's and ill probably start playing most recent games like skyrim bf3 halo... since ill have a good pc)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
HDD: Western Digital 500GB
PSU: XFX ProSeries 550W Core edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP Memory 8GB 1600MHz
Heatsink:Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO CPU Cooler
GPU: In progress But i think ill go with the 7870
Case: In progressor (Zalman z11 but not sure..)
I would look at benchmarks and decide but both are great cards really and you couldn't go wrong either way
a c 199 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:21:43 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I would look at benchmarks and decide but both are great cards really and you couldn't go wrong either way

This. I don't think you will regret either one.
October 31, 2012 11:36:07 PM

bigcyo recommended you o do something very good. You can't go wrong with either one really. But take the one that performs better on your games you want to play.
November 1, 2012 9:48:20 AM

Onus said:
The brands I like for Radeon cards are XFX, HIS, and Sapphire. I've had 2/4 Asus video cards die within hours or days of first use; as great as their mobos are, I don't have the same faith in their graphics cards.
I'm running all XFX cards in my own rigs right now; other recent builds also include HIS and Sapphire.
I'd also trust MSI for video cards (but not for mobos; they're a reverse of Asus).


I think ill be buying this one! :D 
http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-radeon-7870-1ghz-2...
a c 199 U Graphics card
November 1, 2012 10:13:18 AM

Nice. I'd be interested to know how loud the fan is. I suspect it's quieter than the budget HIS cards, but louder than their IceQ cards.
a c 173 U Graphics card
November 1, 2012 10:31:00 AM

Pick a different 7870 as not all are created equal. Go with MSI or Asus and avoid XFX and HIS due to build quality issues. XFX and HIS use very cheap low grade components. The main issue with the two is the coil inductors that often buzz and short out while cooling isn't that great either. For the same price or for a little more you can buy a better 7870.

The same will apply to some of the GTX6xx line.
a c 186 U Graphics card
November 1, 2012 10:50:18 AM

I think its all a matter of Personnel Preference and experiences with different brands someone might have had bad experiences with one brand while another may had great experiences with that brand know what i mean.Personally i be all over The MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK is the MSI Lightning's smaller brother. It uses the company's signature Twin Frozr II dual-fan cooler. MSI has also increased the clock speeds of the HD 7870 HAWK to 1100 MHz GPU and 1200 MHz memory and you can overclock it yourself even further it's supposedly quite a beast!

November 1, 2012 2:14:30 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I think its all a matter of Personnel Preference and experiences with different brands someone might have had bad experiences with one brand while another may had great experiences with that brand know what i mean.Personally i be all over The MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK is the MSI Lightning's smaller brother. It uses the company's signature Twin Frozr II dual-fan cooler. MSI has also increased the clock speeds of the HD 7870 HAWK to 1100 MHz GPU and 1200 MHz memory and you can overclock it yourself even further it's supposedly quite a beast!


True, almost every card has a 1 star rating on it but then again if i get the 660 or the 7870 and its faulty its not a reason to give it a 1just RMA it... When i get one and as long as its working i think it would be a 5 star from me since its a decent gpu and definately better than what i currently have ( i cant play cs 1.6 at low/medium settings without lag -.-) So i think as long as it works for a long time ill be pleased.
a c 199 U Graphics card
November 1, 2012 10:06:03 PM

I happen to be running all XFX now, and I'm 100% satisfied. The fans are quiet but effective, they stay cool, and there's no coil whine. The shrouds are aluminum, not cheap plastic; nothing about them seems cheap.
The HIS cards I've bought have been their "better" ones, with the IceQ [Turbo] coolers. I have read enough negative comments about their cheaper models (and had one myself; my only HIS to ever fail) that I would not buy those. I do like their better ones.
I've only owned a few, and they seemed fine to me also, but in reviews, I have read that some Sapphire cards use iron chokes, not the better, more efficient ferrite ones. I have owned one MSI, and was happy with it. They also seem to enjoy an excellent reputation.
!