Solved

PC Won't boot after installing new Graphics card

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2012 3:16:03 PM

So I thought it would be a good idea to swap graphics cards with my friend (See below for specs) and after doing a simple swap in my system (Yes, I made sure the 6pin was connected to the new video card), it simply won't power up. No response whatsoever, except the green LED on my motherboard.

I swapped back to my original video card, but no joy there either, and now my friend's system won't power up either.

Specifications (Mine)

ASUS M5A97 EVO
AMD FX 4100
AMD 5670 1GB
8GB Mushkin memory
Coolermaster extreme plus 600 Watt
1TB WD HDD

My friends card is a GTX 660 ti, I can get his full specs if it helps.

Lastly, I tried the paperclip test only on his computer, I might have done it wrong but it didn't work either.

More about : boot installing graphics card

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 5:08:12 PM

Check the contacts of both cards. It sounds like a shot-circuit on either the pci-e contacts or the power plug. Sometimes it helps to unscrew the i/o-shield of the card for a test to get it fully into the slot.
m
l
December 19, 2012 6:52:32 PM

Also try unplugging both computers from the wall outlets and holding down the power button for 30 seconds. This will help drain any remaining power in the capacitors. As a last resort leave both computers unplugged for several hours. I've witnessed a few times that fixing similar problems to what you're experiencing.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's insight on why or what causes this to happen on rare occasion.
m
l
December 19, 2012 8:00:14 PM

noidea_77 said:
Check the contacts of both cards. It sounds like a shot-circuit on either the pci-e contacts or the power plug. Sometimes it helps to unscrew the i/o-shield of the card for a test to get it fully into the slot.

I'm a tad confused, so just try reseating the card is what you're saying?

I also did a CMOS jumper reset, didnt do anything but I'll try pulling the battery just in case.
m
l
December 19, 2012 8:11:48 PM

abacap said:
I'm a tad confused, so just try reseating the card is what you're saying?

I also did a CMOS jumper reset, didnt do anything but I'll try pulling the battery just in case.

I believe noidea is suggesting to remove the card and check the gold pins to verify they are clean. I've actually seen dirt/dust caked on them before. Use rubbing alcohol to clean them if needed. Then install the card once again. Also, unplug the 6 pin power cable in the cards. Check those contacts as well.

Unplugging and removing, then reinstalling and plugging back in is also referred to as reseeding.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 8:25:13 PM

Kindredsouls said:
...Unplugging and removing, then reinstalling and plugging back in is also referred to as reseeding.

reseating (re-seat the card)
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 8:29:21 PM

Well, that power supply is known to fail at 450 watts give or take. I am sure that does not help.

If this is your power supply.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

The combined system should NOT have been enough to overload it, but I still have to question it.

I would have to recommend trying the card in a third system(maybe it just failed.).

A re-seat is not a bad idea(even the memory as well.). I have seen strange things happen.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 202 U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 8:41:01 PM

^"reseating."

...and OUCH! You've got a CM PSU that is only good for 450W safely: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
What PSU does your friend have? The long-reset may wake up your PSU again, but that card may be too much for it.
m
l
December 19, 2012 9:01:22 PM

Never will I trust the sales rep again..

Thanks for all the great replies guys, I'll try them out and reply back ASAP

Oh and my friend has a no name 450W(Well I've never heard of it before, and his system was built in South Korea. But everything else is quality.)
m
l
December 20, 2012 6:58:39 PM

So reseating the card multiple times didn't work.

I think I'm narrowing it down to the power supply, but mobo's green LED still lights up?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 7:03:30 PM

The motherboard green led just shows that it has power. Kind of a nice warning to you to shut off the power before messing with it.

If the power supply does not have the power to bring the system online, it may just fold(shut off) to avoid damage to the system.
m
l
December 20, 2012 8:20:02 PM

nukemaster said:
The motherboard green led just shows that it has power. Kind of a nice warning to you to shut off the power before messing with it.

If the power supply does not have the power to bring the system online, it may just fold(shut off) to avoid damage to the system.

That makes sense, but then why won't it power up with the old system configuration? Is it possible that since the new card demanded so much, my power supply just kind of blew out?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 117 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 9:58:11 PM

Just to give you an idea of power use from card to card.

Now note the the idle may only happen once drivers are install.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_5670_1_GB/28....
VS. The Asus card has a bit of a higher boost speed, but you get the point.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_660...

I just hope it did not cause any damage. This is the strange thing. If you push it too far, it may just fail, but your friends system wont see the card anymore either will it?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 202 U Graphics card
December 20, 2012 10:04:44 PM

The green mobo LED just means it's getting +5VSB. This voltage is typically provided by an entirely separate circuit inside the PSU, and may continue to function even if the rest of it dies.
m
l
December 21, 2012 4:29:34 PM

Okay, so through some kind of miracle (Mayan Apocalypse maybe?) my own system decided to boot up. All I can recall doing is tugging and fidgeting with the motherboard power connectors, and everything works fine now. Save for my two extra case fans which don't seem to be getting any power, but that's another story.

Now my friend's PC still won't boot, and I have a small theory..

He bought and built his system in South Korea, and every part is high quality like you'd expect (Intel, Gigabyte, Zotac, Samsung etc etc) EXCEPT for his power supply. It's a PowerEx 500 watt, and I totally forgot that we should've changed it from 220 V (The Korean standard) to 110v (What we have here in NA). Well when I looked at it yesterday, it didn't have a switch at all. So I'm assuming it's stuck in 220v, and when we first tried powering it here all we used was a travel adapter at the end of the plug, not a proper converter "thing". And funny enough we didn't try powering it up at all between that first try and our graphics card dilemma,

is it possible the PSU blew out?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 10:51:34 PM

the power supply won't blow, it just won't work or only provide 1/2 the power - get a new quality unit
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 202 U Graphics card
December 21, 2012 10:57:07 PM

Does it have full range active PFC, or is it designed for 220V only?
m
l
December 21, 2012 11:20:03 PM

I honestly don't know, it doesn't say anything about it on the side label and my friend doesn't have the manual for it. I also can't find it online either

EDIT: Found it, turns out it doesn't have it at all
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 202 U Graphics card
December 22, 2012 12:22:47 AM

If it doesn't have active PFC, and has no voltage switch, then it works at 220V only (+/- whatever tolerance it has), and either wouldn't turn on at all on 115V, or would not have sufficient output to power a PC.
m
l
December 25, 2012 11:46:45 PM

Late reply, but somehow touching the power connectors here and there fixed it. I guess something was just a little bit loose? Albeit my two top fans won't turn on now, but that's irrelevant since I'm replacing the PSU tomorrow anyways
m
l
December 25, 2012 11:51:33 PM

Best answer selected by abacap.
m
l
!