Sign in with
Your question

How do i connect power supply and graphic card?

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 3:17:02 PM

Hey guys, ive got a stupid question for you:

How the heck do I connect my hd7970 ghz edition to my power supply
(be quiet! Pure Power L8 CM 630w)?

Ive got two cables with three endings each:

One ending fits into the power supply
the other 6 pin ending fits into the graphic card
and the last 8 pin ending fits into the graphic card as well

BUT:

As ive said ive got two of this cables and also two free slots in the power supply labeled "PCI 1" and "PCI 2"
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 3:26:45 PM

Should be Green to Green and Red to Red on the PSU. For the GPU, they will only go a certain way because of the keying of the connectors. It looks to me like the cable with the Red connector is your 8 pin for GPU and the Green is the 6 pin for the GPU. Hope this helps.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 4:38:57 PM

The red and the green cable both have an 8 pin and a 6 pin ending and of course the ending that belongs into the power supply.

That confuses me^^
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 4:42:57 PM

Ok. Then plug one of the 6 pin connectors into the GPU and the other 8 pin connector in the GPU. They both are rated for the same amount of current. It doesn't matter which is which.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 4:49:06 PM

But should i use ONE cable to plug the 8 pin into the GPU and the 6 pin into the gpu and in ONE slot of the power supply?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 4:51:18 PM

No. Use one cable for each connection. They set the PSU up like this because some boards have 2 6 pin connections unlike yours which has a 6 and an 8.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 5:01:54 PM

Alright if I use the green cable (from power supply to graphic card) AND the red cable (also from power supply to graphic card) then it cant get wrecked?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 5:14:09 PM

Ok. From looking at the specs of your PSU from their website. You can use one cable (either green or red) with both connectors. Never have seen a PSU cable structure designed like this before.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 5:17:13 PM

That's why I am so confused. Even if I'd use a wrong cable combination (both cables instead of one or one cable instead of both) could this potentially destroy my graphic card?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2012 5:20:03 PM

Probably not. But I would just use one to be safe, like the manufacturer suggests.
!