Please give me your opinions and advice for my Gaming PC parts

nextgendpxd

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I'm tired of my old HP laptop not even running mmorpgs at the lowest settings with only 20ish FPS, also im tired of my laptop overheating if i have that game on, and Google chrome open. I'm guessing maybe the fans are a bit dusty, and the inside needs to be cleaned out but, i dont feel like taking apart another laptop.

I've decided to get a gaming pc. At first I looked at sites like Stealth gaming machines, Falcon, iBuyPower, and others. I read somewhere on the internet that it may be cheaper to buy the parts and build the gaming pc yourself. I want to be able to max out all games on a humble 1080p screen, I'd also like to see above 60fps. I however do not want to go past $1600. So here I am, I'd like to get your opinions on this build, will it get the most bang for the buck? Will this last me? What parts would you swap out?

Here is the build:
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 se
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ATX
Cpu: 3570k i5
Gpu:4gb Asus GTX680
Mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2x 4gb)
Psu: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
Storage: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256gb SSD

For the cpu cooler, ill replace the stock with
Enermax ETS-T40 T.B.APOLLISH CPU Cooler

And ill use a network adapter because, I don't have an Ethernet outlet in my room

Looks solid to me tho I've not researched that CPU cooler.

Check the layout of the ram slots next to the cpu slots - if that ram's not low profile you could have a problem with the fan blocking the first ram slot.

nextgendpxd

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I looked over the parts again on Newegg, and the cpu cool might end up blocking a ram slot :/ I probably wont use that slot until i have to upgrade to more ram

MC_K7

Distinguished
Yes really nice build. Only thing is your 4GB on the GTX-680 is probably a waste if you game on only 1 monitor. Even when gaming on two monitors, 2GB of memory on a GPU should be plenty enough. 4 GB versions are just a scam to sell video cards an extra 100$. I say it's a scam because probably 95% of the users don't need that much so the extra memory will never be used. For instance, I have only 1 GB on my video card and never had any problem maxing out games at 1920 x 1200. It's just that you were asking for the "best bang for the bucks" and 4GB versions of the GTX-680 is definitely not a good value. The GTX-670 2GB would be a better bang for the bucks because it will perform very close to the 680 4GB for about 200$ less.

ubobill

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Looks like a solid build. I only see a 256gb SSD and no other Hard Drive, assume you will just use an existing one.

The fans on this case typically run a little to loud for my taste, I also had an issue with the HD Audio Cable on the case. It was not long enough to reach the MOBO and I had to call and have another cable mailed to me. But overall you have a nice build here that will tackle anything out there right now!

About blocking RAM slots - better ask here or download the manual for the board. Sometimes you don't have a choice on which pair of slots you have to start with. Not sure but worth your look.

And realistically, the tall heatsinks don't do anything unless you're really OCing the RAM.

nextgendpxd

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

For now, ill only be using the ssd unless i can clean an old hdd and use it as a back up. 256gb should store windows and a few games.
and dang, maybe i should order an extended cable just incase. When all the parts get here, I wanna start building, testing, and start the long list of windows updates :D because thats always fun.

nextgendpxd

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I see, thanks for informing me. I picked out the 4gb gtx680 because I was thinking that maybe i wanted to go to a higher resolution monitor, but i still want the fps. Also that model looks like it'll stay pretty cool with those dual fans. Ill read some reviews about the gtx670 2gb though, those $200 can go towards gaming peripherals