Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is this a good deal/

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 10:51:20 PM

For a hd7870 $199 is a good deal (its about $50 less then other cards), you may see other cards dropping in price around thanksgiving, but sapphire makes some really nice cards, and this one has a non-reference cooler on it, so it will have lower temperatures.
Score
October 31, 2012 10:59:34 PM

fil1p said:
For a hd7870 $199 is a good deal (its about $50 less then other cards), you may see other cards dropping in price around thanksgiving, but sapphire makes some really nice cards, and this one has a non-reference cooler on it, so it will have lower temperatures.

Would the other graphic cards drop to the same price range. I am getting 15$ rebate on top of this , so it comes to 184$.
Would thanksgiving beat this? A lot of people have posted in comments about the black screens , so is this a reliable card ?

Also can i set up a dual monitor display with this card?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:05:34 PM

Personally i have not used that card, and I am not sure about the black screens, do some research and see if its just the sapphire model or if its a common problem, but according to several user opinions there have been problems with black screens. Some say it can be fixed by dropping the clock a little. So it seems that sapphire might have shipped these cards out with an unstable overclock. And yes you can run a dual monitor setup, you can even run three with eyefinity. If you wait a while prices might drop. I would take a look at some other cards too though.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:07:48 PM

After looking around a bit, it seems quite a bit of people are having that problem, so beware. Wait a bit, there may be some price drops on other cards too.
Score
October 31, 2012 11:14:17 PM

fil1p said:
After looking around a bit, it seems quite a bit of people are having that problem, so beware. Wait a bit, there may be some price drops on other cards too.

Thanks filip,

I guess, more than the money the mood gets spoilt when you sit to game, and it crashes repeatedly :) 
I think i will give this one a pass for peace of mind :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:24:21 PM

No problem! :D  I once had a faulty GPU, and it was not a fun experience. I took a look at the rest of your system and its pretty solid, except I would switch out the i7-3770k for a i7-3770k, the "k" means it has an unlocked multiplier which means you would be able to overclock it in the future. Unless you already bought those components (i7-3770), in that case you will still get great performance, but you won't be able to overclock it very much.
Score
a c 359 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:32:10 PM

Unless you use programs that can take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT), then there's no point in buying the i7-3770k. Games do not make use of HT so if this is a gaming PC, then you are better off with the i5-3570k which does not have HT.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:37:38 PM

^True, but make sure you get a intel processor (either i7-3770k or i5-3570k) with the "K" to ensure you will be able to reach some nice clock speeds.
Score
October 31, 2012 11:38:19 PM

jaguarskx said:
Unless you use programs that can take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT), then there's no point in buying the i7-3770k. Games do not make use of HT so if this is a gaming PC, then you are better off with the i5-3570k which does not have HT.

Well I am a coder first and then a gamer ( That is how I earn my daily bread :)  )
My work often involves multiple virtual machines , hence i need the hyper threading and hardware virtualization on the non k model. I am writing this post from my system, which is fab :) 

Now i am looking for a graphic card for this machine .

My heart says to go with nvidia ( i think they are more stable ?, better driver support for other operating systems ? )
But benchmarks say AMD rules for performance to price.
Last few questions:
1) Which card would you pick on a 200 $ budget
2) Are thanksgiving sales good enough to wait for them? How much would be the discount variance?

Thanks a lot guys
Score
October 31, 2012 11:47:28 PM

The sapphire cards are really nice. Mine are quite reliable. I have no problems whatsoever with mine. I have been getting sapphire cards for years now and I would vouch for their reliability anyday. As fil1p said they probably shipped out with unstable overclocks. They usually don't do that but anyone can make a mistake. I recommend getting it. And 199 it's a steal!
Score
a c 359 U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:48:56 PM

I buy either AMD or nVidia whichever one I think give the best bang for the buck at the time I am looking to buy. I would go with the HD 7870.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:53:19 PM

Well i do agree the hd7870's in general are cards of a very good value. Here is a hd7870 from gigabyte (its windforce edition):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its got good responses on newegg, and the windforce cooler is awesome, I have a gtx670 windforce.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2012 11:56:24 PM

The gigabyte I posted is for $239, but you could go for a xfx hd7870 (also got good reviews), for $229:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However I would go with the gigabyte i posted earlier.

a c 85 U Graphics card
November 1, 2012 12:02:39 AM

You know that the K model still has hyper threading and hardware virtualizaion, right? There's no reason to not go with an unlocked processor.

As for a graphics card, it depends on what programs you're running when you code. If it's something that can utilize a good GPU, then pick based on that. (If it uses openGL, go AMD. If not, NVidia is the one with the Cuda cores.)

I wouldn't say that nvidia isn't more stable, but if you're referring to linux, then nvidia is actually the WORST when it comes to driver support.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2012 12:04:29 AM

Also keep in mind the kepler based gaming cards (gtx600's) have rather poor compute performance, but they are beasts when gaming.
Score
November 1, 2012 1:39:36 AM

fil1p said:
Also keep in mind the kepler based gaming cards (gtx600's) have rather poor compute performance, but they are beasts when gaming.

I guess i like the gigabyte that you posted, read about the windforce , and looks like thats a great technology.

This is going to be my first thanksgiving in the united states, so I really have no idea how it impacts the pricing ?
if someone has experience in the past , which can help me decide I would be grateful.

I dont want to spend 240$ to realise, the price went down to 180$ in a month.
Score
November 8, 2012 12:59:01 AM

Best answer selected by micceo.
Score
!