Closed Solved

Is this a good deal/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102983&Tpk=14-102-983&nm_mc=EMC-GD103112&cm_mmc=EMC-GD103112-_-index-_-Item-_-14-102-983

is this a good deal, or do better deals usually come up during thanksgiving. I am prepared to wait a little , so wanted to know if this deal is worth it or not ?

Are there any issues with the chipset or the card that I should be worried about?

here is my pc config as of now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hASl

Regards
mic
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good deal
  1. For a hd7870 $199 is a good deal (its about $50 less then other cards), you may see other cards dropping in price around thanksgiving, but sapphire makes some really nice cards, and this one has a non-reference cooler on it, so it will have lower temperatures.
  2. fil1p said:
    For a hd7870 $199 is a good deal (its about $50 less then other cards), you may see other cards dropping in price around thanksgiving, but sapphire makes some really nice cards, and this one has a non-reference cooler on it, so it will have lower temperatures.

Would the other graphic cards drop to the same price range. I am getting 15$ rebate on top of this , so it comes to 184$.
    Would thanksgiving beat this? A lot of people have posted in comments about the black screens , so is this a reliable card ?

Also can i set up a dual monitor display with this card?
  3. Personally i have not used that card, and I am not sure about the black screens, do some research and see if its just the sapphire model or if its a common problem, but according to several user opinions there have been problems with black screens. Some say it can be fixed by dropping the clock a little. So it seems that sapphire might have shipped these cards out with an unstable overclock. And yes you can run a dual monitor setup, you can even run three with eyefinity. If you wait a while prices might drop. I would take a look at some other cards too though.
  4. After looking around a bit, it seems quite a bit of people are having that problem, so beware. Wait a bit, there may be some price drops on other cards too.
  5. fil1p said:
    After looking around a bit, it seems quite a bit of people are having that problem, so beware. Wait a bit, there may be some price drops on other cards too.

Thanks filip,

I guess, more than the money the mood gets spoilt when you sit to game, and it crashes repeatedly :)
    I think i will give this one a pass for peace of mind :)
  6. No problem! :D I once had a faulty GPU, and it was not a fun experience. I took a look at the rest of your system and its pretty solid, except I would switch out the i7-3770k for a i7-3770k, the "k" means it has an unlocked multiplier which means you would be able to overclock it in the future. Unless you already bought those components (i7-3770), in that case you will still get great performance, but you won't be able to overclock it very much.
  7. Unless you use programs that can take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT), then there's no point in buying the i7-3770k. Games do not make use of HT so if this is a gaming PC, then you are better off with the i5-3570k which does not have HT.
  8. ^True, but make sure you get a intel processor (either i7-3770k or i5-3570k) with the "K" to ensure you will be able to reach some nice clock speeds.
  9. jaguarskx said:
    Unless you use programs that can take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT), then there's no point in buying the i7-3770k. Games do not make use of HT so if this is a gaming PC, then you are better off with the i5-3570k which does not have HT.

Well I am a coder first and then a gamer ( That is how I earn my daily bread :) )
    My work often involves multiple virtual machines , hence i need the hyper threading and hardware virtualization on the non k model. I am writing this post from my system, which is fab :)

Now i am looking for a graphic card for this machine .

My heart says to go with nvidia ( i think they are more stable ?, better driver support for other operating systems ? )
    But benchmarks say AMD rules for performance to price.
    Last few questions:
    1) Which card would you pick on a 200 $ budget
    2) Are thanksgiving sales good enough to wait for them? How much would be the discount variance?

Thanks a lot guys
  10. The sapphire cards are really nice. Mine are quite reliable. I have no problems whatsoever with mine. I have been getting sapphire cards for years now and I would vouch for their reliability anyday. As fil1p said they probably shipped out with unstable overclocks. They usually don't do that but anyone can make a mistake. I recommend getting it. And 199 it's a steal!
  11. I buy either AMD or nVidia whichever one I think give the best bang for the buck at the time I am looking to buy. I would go with the HD 7870.
  12. Well i do agree the hd7870's in general are cards of a very good value. Here is a hd7870 from gigabyte (its windforce edition):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

Its got good responses on newegg, and the windforce cooler is awesome, I have a gtx670 windforce.
  13. Best answer
    The gigabyte I posted is for $239, but you could go for a xfx hd7870 (also got good reviews), for $229:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605

However I would go with the gigabyte i posted earlier.
  14. You know that the K model still has hyper threading and hardware virtualizaion, right? There's no reason to not go with an unlocked processor.

As for a graphics card, it depends on what programs you're running when you code. If it's something that can utilize a good GPU, then pick based on that. (If it uses openGL, go AMD. If not, NVidia is the one with the Cuda cores.)

I wouldn't say that nvidia isn't more stable, but if you're referring to linux, then nvidia is actually the WORST when it comes to driver support.
  15. Also keep in mind the kepler based gaming cards (gtx600's) have rather poor compute performance, but they are beasts when gaming.
  16. fil1p said:
    Also keep in mind the kepler based gaming cards (gtx600's) have rather poor compute performance, but they are beasts when gaming.

I guess i like the gigabyte that you posted, read about the windforce , and looks like thats a great technology.

This is going to be my first thanksgiving in the united states, so I really have no idea how it impacts the pricing ?
    if someone has experience in the past , which can help me decide I would be grateful.

I dont want to spend 240$ to realise, the price went down to 180$ in a month.
  17. Best answer selected by micceo.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Chipsets Configuration Graphics Product