Sign in with
Your question

Total available graphics memory way too low

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2012 10:45:27 PM

Hi all,

i just bouth a new VTX3D 7950 X-Edition to ad some eye candy to my favorite games. But... something is really strange. When checking my display properties, windows (7, 32-Bit) tells me that I have 3192 MB of dedicated video memory (which is fine,) while the total available graphics memory is only 318 MB.

Any ideas whether this is a problem, and if, how to solve it?

Thanks in Advance!

Ed
October 31, 2012 10:49:19 PM

You shouldn't trust Windows in these types of technical informations. They usually don't tell the right thing.

But you can check your Graphics Memory with GPU-Z, which can be found here :
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2181/TechPowerUp_G...

Also, next time, when you need to ask a question, try to start a "question" thread, and not a "discussion" one, since most people don't even look at the discussion threads.

-Hope it helps! :) 
Bloc97
October 31, 2012 10:55:47 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for posting in the wrong forums!

Yeah, I checked GPU-Z, and the Graphics memory seems to be just fine. I am still confused, becase Steam kicked me out of a game showing a fatal error, telling me something about low memory and DXDIAG showed me this:

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x679A)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_679A&SUBSYS_23251787&REV_00
Display Memory: 316 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3051 MB
Shared Memory: 1360 MB

That's why I am wondering: How can the TOTAL Graphics Memory be lower than the DEDICATED Video Memory? Or am I misinterpreting something?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!
October 31, 2012 11:03:49 PM

Dxdiag is misinterpreting things, my HD 7770 shows up as 783MB, when it is 1GB.

Maybe steam is talking about your computer RAM? Or maybe it is using Dxdiag as a reference, and since Dxdiag is erroneous, it gives false warnings.

-Bloc97
!