D70 Firmware Won't Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've downloaded the D70 firmware upgrade from Nikon a couple of times.
I've unzipped it on two different computers. I've transferred the 'A'
upgrade to the camera using a USB cable, and by removing the card and
inserting it into a PCCard adapter. I've tried it with two different
battery packs, both fully charged. I've used three different cards,
including two on the approved list. When I try to do the upgrade, I
follow this routine:

- Menu key
- Select 'wrench' (yellow) menu
- Select 'Firmware version'
- Select 'Update'; camera replies:
A 1.01 > A 2.00 Update firmware?
- Select Yes, press Enter
Get message "Do not turn off camera etc"
- Don't touch anything in this period of time
Get message "Update Error"

After power cycling the camera, it continues to work fine, but with the
old firmware.

Has anybody run into this? Any idea what I need to do to get it to
upgrade?

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Are you using a microdrive rather than CF card? For some silly reason
they don't allow microdrive.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:23:29 GMT, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Joe
Makowiec <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Has anybody run into this? Any idea what I need to do to get it to
>upgrade?

Have you tried first reformatting the card in the camera?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:36:54 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Paul
Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:

>Are you using a microdrive rather than CF card? For some silly reason
>they don't allow microdrive.

The US instructions also specifically stated not to copy the files to the
card using a Lexar JumpShot, though I had no problems whatsoever.
----------

"Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> I've downloaded the D70 firmware upgrade from Nikon a couple of times.
> I've unzipped it on two different computers. I've transferred the 'A'
> upgrade to the camera using a USB cable, and by removing the card and
> inserting it into a PCCard adapter. I've tried it with two different
> battery packs, both fully charged. I've used three different cards,
> including two on the approved list. When I try to do the upgrade, I
> follow this routine:
>
> - Menu key
> - Select 'wrench' (yellow) menu
> - Select 'Firmware version'
> - Select 'Update'; camera replies:
> A 1.01 > A 2.00 Update firmware?
> - Select Yes, press Enter
> Get message "Do not turn off camera etc"
> - Don't touch anything in this period of time
> Get message "Update Error"
>
> After power cycling the camera, it continues to work fine, but with the
> old firmware.
>
> Has anybody run into this? Any idea what I need to do to get it to
> upgrade?
>
> --
> Joe Makowiec
> http://makowiec.org/
> Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

I'd try downloading it again. Perhaps the file was corrupt.

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:23:29 GMT, Joe Makowiec
<makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>I've downloaded the D70 firmware upgrade from Nikon a couple of times.
<snip>

Try the reset button at the base of the camera - you'll probably loose
all the CSM settings & curves etc, but maybe something there is
causing a problem?

Also, was A 1.01 the last version? I don't think it was. If not, try
upgrading to the prior release of firmware, and then to this one.

...just guesses though..

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Make sure you put file in root folder of card. Don't put it in any folder
that is on the card.

Try what Owamanga advised, mine wouldn't upgrade until a previous upgrade
was done. Hope this takes care of your problem,