My new rig and BSODs

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Greetings,

First of all let me know if I am asking under the correct category and if need be move it.

I've completed my first build few months ago and while having the same issue from the get go I didn't have any propper consultation regarding it. So here it goes.

The specs

CPU: i5 3570k
MB : Giga Z77X-UD3H
RAM: LowP Corsair Vengeance 8gb(2*4gb) @1600
PSU: Seasonic M12II 520w
Storage: SSD OCZ Vertex 4 128gb/HDD Samsung 400gb
GPU: Giga 7950

No component in the system is or was OC'ed except ram is running on XMP

The problem

I am getting random BSODs during daily stuff such as gaming, web browsing ect.
BSOD messages: IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL, PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

My research pointed me towards possibly bad ram stick, so I ran memtest86 over night but no errors was found. I also reinstalled Win 7 but the issue is still present.

Please help me out, guys, and thanks.

Hi, More likely it's related to a graphics card issue. Is there a newer BIOS version available? If yes, I would contact Gigabyte and check if it adresses a compatibility issue with 7950.
Or try installing a different AMD diver.

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned in the OP, the GPU was added to the system a month(or so) ago, so the issue existed prior to that.

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I took one ram stick out and so far it seems fine. I'm thinking about leaving the system running over night with a possibly bad stick in.
My question is, what is the best program to torture ram, is memtest86 good enough?

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
No I haven't yet, I'll do that over night. As I understand, luckaly I've found the faulty stick and by taking it out I haven't got anymore BSOD(usually 2-5 a day). So as I mentioned before I'll put the "bad" stick in and torture it over night, just to make sure.
Note my timezone is GMT+2.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
This starts to pi** me off.

Yesterday all was fine, no BSODS what so ever and then my system froze(not a BSOD).

So I ran the memtest for the night with the stick that I thought was fine. In the morning after 7 hours and 20 minutes with 16 tests passed and no erros the test itself stoped(memtest86 is still functional tho).

I am starting to think that maybe the issue is with the mobo or SSD.

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
As far as I know I've done all the tests. I ran memtest86 with dual channel config, both sticks separately in single slots. No errors were found.

Try enabling the XMP in BIOS and test again with both RAMs.
Or, if XMP enabled, disable it and test.
For dual channel yes either 1 and 2 or 3 and 4. Test firstly with the RAMs in 1 and 2 and then in 3 and 4.
It might be a memory kit issue or a CPU one (memory controller, or bent pins).

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

This sounds scary if it has something to do with CPU.
Ok I'll do some further tests (will take a while).

Have a nice holiday.

Tetris90

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Just letting you know, looks like dual channel controler is broken. I'll use warranty and get the replacement. Hoping it'll get rev 1.1 this time.

Again, thanks for all the help and support.