Which is better for the money? HP i7 or Ironside i5?

I am looking at two options trying to decide which I should buy. I know many folks will suggest I build my own, but for the purposes of this question please assume that is not an option.

HP Phoenix $845
Windows 8 64
3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
No secondary hard drive
1GB AMD Radeon HD 7670 [DVI, DP, HDMI, VGA adapter]
Liquid Cooling Solution
Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)

Ironside Silver $1059
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition (Mid Tower)
Intel Processor Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo Boost (Quad Core)
CPU Cooling Asetek 550LC High Performance Liquid Cooling
Intel Motherboard ASRock H77 Pro4-M [VGA DVI HDMI] SATA 6Gb/s USB3 {4 DDR3
Slots Max 1600MHz}
Overclocking Processor [FREE] Overclock Processor up to 10%
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Primary Hard Drive Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SSD Read: 520MB/s Write:
490MB/s
Secondary Hard 500GB 7200 rpm
Graphics Card AMD Radeon 7770 1GB (Min. 600 Watt Power Supply)
Power Supply Standard 600 Watt
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
7 answers Last reply
More about which money ironside
  1. Ironside has more flexible case, overclocked processor, much better video card, much better power supply, and an SSD. Easy winner.
  2. twelve25 said:
    Ironside has more flexible case, overclocked processor, much better video card, much better power supply, and an SSD. Easy winner.

Thank you for your help! Before I spend the extra $200 I want to make sure its worth it.
  3. What are you trying to accomplish and where are you buying from? Maybe we can get a better configuration for $1000.
  4. twelve25 said:
    What are you trying to accomplish and where are you buying from? Maybe we can get a better configuration for $1000.

I am trying to find a prebuilt gaming/general purpose PC from a reliable vendor for around $1000 or less. I am avoiding companies like Cyberpower and Ibuypower because their reputation for reliability and customer service issues seems bad. I did a little searching and settled on Ironside Computers (http://www.ironsidecomputers.com/) because they seem to be reliable and their customer service seems good. They are also doing free shipping and no tax based on where I live, which will save at least $150. If you have other suggestions for companies or if you can build something better on their site, I'm open.
  5. I bought an HPE 1280T back in June and happy with the value of what I received. For around $1000 I got an I7 3930K CPU, 2TB HDD, DVDRW, AMD 7570, the only upgrades to the base model being the 3930K and 600 WATT power supply. This was cheaper than I could price and build a comparable system at the time. The 3930K was around $600 alone in June. BE VERY CAREFULL WITH OEM UPGRADES!! You will be charged much more than the upgrades would cost you to do yourself. I added my own SSDs, BluRay burners, 16GB 1600 RAM, and video card for a third of the HP upgrade price. The one benefit from buying a base model from a big OEM is the warranty and time saved with initial assembly and compatibility problems. The regrets I have from not building a complete system is not being able to choose exactly each component in my computer. For example, I do not have enough room in my mid size computer case to add the video card I really wanted, and I only have 2 SATA III ports. I hope this helps.... There is always trade-offs.
  6. Those Ironside builds seem rather pricey; at least 20% more than cyberpower.

I might try to find a pre-built with at least a 450W power supply and then add in your own Radeon 7850 or GTX660 card yourself.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103638
    or this if you need to go cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258012

And then add in a card like this (easy to do even for a newbie): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130825
  7. Why don't you buy the components individually and get to a local pc shop were they can assemble the parts(since you don't have the knowledge) for a price ?
    You can get a much better pc that way.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Product