Dual Monitor Setup (Intel + ATI)

Tycox94

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hello there,

I got an extra monitor and I was wondering how to setup another monitor to my computer. I was wondering if i could use my "on-board" graphics card(intel) with one monitor and my Radeon graphics card for another? Would this be possible, if so how could i accomplish this?

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Well simply connect your second monitor to your dedicated ATI card via the appropriate cable. Then go into the ATI or AMD Catalyst control, right click on your desktop, you will find it. Then select something like multiple monitors and from there on it will be pretty straightforward. I would connect the second monitor to your AMD card, not the intel onboard one. Which Radeon do you have?

Hope this helps!

lchrisk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Yes this is possible, but I'm not sure how. I'm pretty sure it's fairly simple.

Are you going to be gaming or anything like that? If so, the 5450 won't be able to accomplish anything then minor gaming such as mine craft, considering your cpu is decent as well.

Tycox94

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I haven't had any trouble with the 5450 for gaming before. Would running a second monitor take away from the card's memory? I've opened Catalyst and try to detect the monitor but only my main monitor is detected. Could it be that I may not have my "on-board" graphic card's drivers installed?

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
No, you don't need your on board graphics drivers. Try to remove your main monitor, and connect the second one to see if its detected that way first. With a 5450 you will definitely not be gaming on dual monitors as it will be much to under powered for that. But for day to day usage, it will be fine. And while gaming you will simply have the game display on one monitor.

Tycox94

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
"Try to remove your main monitor, and connect the second one to see if its detected that way first."
It does. But still isn't detecting the both monitors at the same time.

I'm currently using two VGA ports. One of the ports is the original port for the monitor and the other is for the ATI graphics card. I have recently recovered my PC and when i recovered it I had my monitor plugged into my ATI VGA port. I say this because, when i turn off my PC and plug my monitor into my original port and turn it back on it won't show the screen. Maybe this has something to do with it?

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
From what I know is that you have one VGA port on your Amd graphics card, along with one DVI, a DisplayPort, and an HDMI port. So connect one monitor to the Vga port, and then using a vga to DVI adapter connect the other one to the DVI port. Connect both monitors to the graphic card, don't use the intel integrated graphics.

hope this helps!