Sapphire 7770 "LAG issue" Please help

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hi guys i bought Sapphire 7770 ghz edition after mounting the card in my mobo i run some of my games for benchmark like dirt 2 and black ops 1. The performance is disappointing my dirt 2 is running @ 30fps max. Even if i reduce the game setting into medium settings no anti aliasing and no v-sync still the same thing so lag. Im having the same performance in my black ops 1

here's my hardware info:

processor: core2duo E7500 2.93ghz
mobo: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L (pci-e*16 ver1.0)
ram: corsair xms2 dhx 2g ddr800
psu: coolermaster extreme series 500w

i dunno if the issue is the bottle neck, pci-e version or product problem. Because my previous video card GTS 250 is performing well compare to sapphire 7770 .... in same games

thats all thnx :D

i got the same issues when upgrading my gts250 to gtx460 with my previous machine (also using e7500 and gigabyte mobo). but first did you properly remove nvidia drivers prior to installing amd catalyst? if you already done that but still having problem then its time to oc your cpu.

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
i reformat my OS windows 7 sp 1 32 bit i also update the newest driver of my catalyst but same performance the only game i can play beyond 60 fps is counter strike source T_T

my monitor is 1920x1080

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
you would of been better off buying a 7870 and calling it a day .. getting a quad core cpu would also help not to bash those cpus because they are not bad.. im thinking its more the 1080P and the 800mhz ram that may be slowing your system down so much ..

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Im planning to OC my E7500 2.9ghz to 3.5ghz since i have a coolermaster 212 cpu fan but too bad the processor is not good for overclocking since its a stepping A not O and the mobo is ancient .... maybe soon i will upgrade my ram and processor im thinking about amd A8 or amd A10.

If i know the 7770 will be bottle neck to my E7500 and 800mhz ram i should start upgrading my processor and ram instead of video card. I thought mid range 7770 will work fine to my old rig same to my previous video card GTS 250.

This is not a system you spend any more money upgrading. The HD7770 isn't that bad and really you should be getting okay performance. As for "upgrading" the problem is everything is too old. Even if you kept your graphics card you'd need to replace these parts:
- motherboard
- CPU
- need 64-bit Windows
- need 4GB or 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

After i reformat my pc i forgot that i lost my dirt 2 installer i only have for benchmarking is black ops 1. After reading your comment i try to run again my black ops 1 to follow your request settings but when i get to menu "BANG" my fps is suddenly running at 60fps in my previous game settings

1920x1080
no AA
high texture
large corpse
v-sync ON

i think my ancient rig need to connect to the internet for them to know who the heck is hd7770 :D ... because after mounting my video card i never try to connect it to the internet until i reformat pc but my driver is updated the catalyst 12-10. But now my 7770 is performing well but the bottle neck is a little bit visible to my fraps because my black ops is dropping to 24fps when the explosion is getting more...

Any way thanks for your help guys :D :D :D

You will have a better experience if you learn to tweak your settings a bit. If the low 24FPS bothers you then you can drop settings related to that but that's trial and error because it might be a specific quality setting, a CPU issue (physics?) or both.

Looking at your specs above, I'm included to recommend something more like dropping to 1600x900 but turn on 2xAA. Experiment like that until you get the desired frame rate and quality.

Some quality features have a HUGE impact on performance such as SHADOWS and often it's better to have MEDIUM rather than HIGH shadows and turn a different feature higher.

Good luck.

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

SAME ISSUE AGAIN

OK guys my low fps issue on my sapphire 7770 go back again after installing MSI afterburn i didn't overlock anything to MSI afterburn i just install to see what's in the msi afterburn but when i play my black ops 2 the fps lock to 20fps My dirt showdown is so lag i try to reinstall the driver and its the same thing i dont know whats going on to my video card T_T the problem goes back again same issue to my 1st post on top

I'm not sure.
I can only suggest the following:

1. Update your motherboard BIOS if it's out of date.

2. Update the main CHIPSET driver for your motherboard if it's out of date (see motherboard support site. If in doubt, just reinstall. It might be an Intel INF file.)

3. Make sure WINDOWS UPDATES are all applied (are you on Automatic Update? Should be.)

4. Verify no issues in DEVICE MANAGER (can Google that if need be. Obvious issues have an Exclamation mark on Yellow background.)

I can't offer much more advice than that.

So basically you're recommending a new computer...

There are actually plenty of games (mostly older) that are still fun and run on a computer like this. The problems start when:

1) People have hardware or software issues preventing the computer from running properly, or

2) People try running games designed for better hardware (In this case they could still be fun if they reduce the visual quality)

My HD5870 isn't considered very high end now, but I played Bioshock on the highest quality. I could run Torchlight 1/2 and Diablo 3 on the highest quality.

*I'm not sure what's going on with his PC (it's hard to troubleshoot) but he could still have a fun gaming experience with it.

**The RAM is problematic for many newer games. Unfortunately, upgrading that requires a new Operating System (64-bit) and more RAM. I thought about recommending the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $40 but you can NOT upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. So he'd have to buy a new OEM copy for about $100 plus the RAM.

pixar1942

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I found out that my hard drive has a lot of bad sector and the life span of my hard disk is almost 9% remaining. My cousin said maybe my hard disk is the cause of unstable performance of my hd7770.

There is a time when i turn on my pc i try to play again my black ops 2 just to check if the performance of my video card goes back to normal. But its yes suddenly goes back to normal im running again to 60fps in home page of black ops 2. So i try to re install my catalyst driver into beta the 12.11 and when i play my black ops 2 again the problem goes back again lock 20fps in home page.