Solved

Hardware Failure Beeps, LED goes on

Working on my first build, had everything set up then 1 long beep, 4 short beeps happen indicating hardware problems.

First of all, here are the specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($178.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($139.91 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($56.48 @ Mwave)
Total: $1873.29

Ok so here is what I see. All the fans spin up, including the CPU fan, leds go on. BOOT DEVICE LED remains red when I get the beeps. I removed the video card, and unplugged the optical and Hard drive from the motherboard. Tried again, same beeps. I removed the RAM From the computer, got a different set of beeps asking for RAM. Put the RAM back in, beeps continue. I should note that I only put one stick of RAM at a time at this point. Additionally, I should note that the PSU, as far as I can see, only allows for a 4 pin connection to the CPU Power slot (there are an additional 4 pins, but the type doesn't match up to the other 4 slots). Really hoping its not the Mobo or the CPU here. I don't have any working parts to swap stuff out with to test.
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hardware failure beeps
  1. Best answer
    if the motherboard is normal sized, then it normally should be an 8 pin cpu connector. I wouldn't even dare boot the computer if the cpu power connector and the 24 power connector are secured
  2. Best answer selected by Charmanda.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems