Which is better for the money? HP i7 or Ironside i5?

I am looking at two options trying to decide which I should buy. I know many folks will suggest I build my own, but for the purposes of this question please assume that is not an option.

HP Phoenix $845
Windows 8 64
3rd Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
2TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
No secondary hard drive
1GB AMD Radeon HD 7670 [DVI, DP, HDMI, VGA adapter]
Liquid Cooling Solution
Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)

Ironside Silver $1059
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition (Mid Tower)
Intel Processor Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo Boost (Quad Core)
CPU Cooling Asetek 550LC High Performance Liquid Cooling
Intel Motherboard ASRock H77 Pro4-M [VGA DVI HDMI] SATA 6Gb/s USB3 {4 DDR3
Slots Max 1600MHz}
Overclocking Processor [FREE] Overclock Processor up to 10%
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Primary Hard Drive Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SSD Read: 520MB/s Write:
490MB/s
Secondary Hard 500GB 7200 rpm
Graphics Card AMD Radeon 7770 1GB (Min. 600 Watt Power Supply)
Power Supply Standard 600 Watt
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
14 answers Last reply
More about which money ironside
  1. A lot of websites will let you choose the hardware, then build it for you and install everything for a small fee.

    The second desktop is decent, but way too overpriced.

    Both are a bad option.
  2. lostgamer_03 said:
    A lot of websites will let you choose the hardware, then build it for you and install everything for a small fee.

    The second desktop is decent, but way too overpriced.

    Both are a bad option.


    Can you suggest a specific website that you have found that can reliably build it as you suggest?

    Thanks!
  3. UberSkillioz said:
    Can you suggest a specific website that you have found that can reliably build it as you suggest?

    Thanks!


    I believe that you live in USA? Well the options should be limitless over there.. Just here in Denmark there is like 3 or 4 Companies which offer some of these great deals with Building the PC and installing drivers, OS and so on. I'm like you in some way about this, I do know my way around inside my PC and can easily change a component or two, but I would like some proffesionals to build it for me. This way you're also sure to get your Money back or another PC if something goes wrong, because Companies like this often, or in most cases, offer warranty for a couple of years.

    If you do live in USA then you might need to find a store that offer these deals close to you. Just try to Google, "configure own gaming computer", or something in that way. If you find a website where you can configure your own PC, then link it here and I will gladly help you, if you also post a budget. :)
  4. Dell usually allows you to choose a model, then tweak when you want in it.
  5. lostgamer_03 said:
    I believe that you live in USA? Well the options should be limitless over there.. Just here in Denmark there is like 3 or 4 Companies which offer some of these great deals with Building the PC and installing drivers, OS and so on. I'm like you in some way about this, I do know my way around inside my PC and can easily change a component or two, but I would like some proffesionals to build it for me. This way you're also sure to get your Money back or another PC if something goes wrong, because Companies like this often, or in most cases, offer warranty for a couple of years.

    If you do live in USA then you might need to find a store that offer these deals close to you. Just try to Google, "configure own gaming computer", or something in that way. If you find a website where you can configure your own PC, then link it here and I will gladly help you, if you also post a budget. :)


    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I've searched around a little bit and that's why I decided to go with Ironside PC (http://www.ironsidecomputers.com/). They seem to have good reviews, stand by their product, good customer service, and right now free shipping and no tax based on where I live, which will save quite a bit of money. I am trying to stay right around $1000 or below. If you can build something on their site you think is better for the money, please let me know!
  6. UberSkillioz said:
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. I've searched around a little bit and that's why I decided to go with Ironside PC (http://www.ironsidecomputers.com/). They seem to have good reviews, stand by their product, good customer service, and right now free shipping and no tax based on where I live, which will save quite a bit of money. I am trying to stay right around $1000 or below. If you can build something on their site you think is better for the money, please let me know!


    I'll give it a try!
  7. Do you got an operating system?
  8. Okay mate.

    Now I will say something about the build before anyone go freakout bout that I chose an AMD CPU, I use Intel myself but here is the reason.

    Getting and FX 8320 Means you can overclock to a lot if you want, and you would want that because you get FREE awesome Water cooling with the RIG. The Intel CPUs are too expensive for your budget if you would like to overclock, same goes for the motherboards. I chose a Little weaker GPU compared to the CPU, Radeon 7850, it has great value and will be sufficient in most games at high to ultra details at acceptable framerates on the resolution of 1920x1080, you could also choose GTX 660 which would be my ideal choice for about 20-30$ more, but it would be another step above your budget.
    I chose a good PSU which will let you upgrade the PC in the future.
    I did choose an operating system, so you wouldn't have any troubles. I chose Windows 8 because of fast booting time, responsiveness and lower requirements which will mean better gaming performance.

    I hope you like it, and the link Works!

    http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&number_of_uploads=0
  9. lostgamer_03 said:
    Okay mate.

    Now I will say something about the build before anyone go freakout bout that I choose an AMD CPU, I use Intel myself but here is the reason.

    Getting and FX 8320 Means you can overclock to a lot if you want, and you would want that because you get FREE awesome Water cooling with the RIG. The Intel CPUs are too expensive for your budget if you would like to overclock, same goes for the motherboards. I choose a Little weaker GPU compared to the CPU, Radeon 7850, it has great value and will be sufficient in most games at high to ultra details at acceptable framerates on the resolution of 1920x1080, you could also choose GTX 660 which would be my ideal choice for about 20-30$ more, but it would be another step above your budget.
    I choose a good PSU which will let you upgrade the PC in the future.
    I did choose an operating system, so you wouldn't have any troubles. I choose Windows 8 because of fast booting time, responsiveness and lower requirements which will mean better gaming performance.

    I hope you like it, and the link Works!

    http://ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=shopping_cart&number_of_uploads=0


    Thanks for the help! For some reason the link is not working, so maybe you can just highlight the options you chose in your shopping cart review and paste it here. Thanks again!
  10. UberSkillioz said:
    Thanks for the help! For some reason the link is not working, so maybe you can just highlight the options you chose in your shopping cart review and paste it here. Thanks again!


    •Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer (Mid Tower)
    •Custom Painted Case (Any Color) - None
    •Custom Airbrush Logos & Emblems - None
    •Custom Airbrushed Gamertags - None
    •Additional Case Fans - None
    •Internal Lighting - None
    •AMD Processor - AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz (Eight Core)
    •CPU Cooling - Asetek 550LC High Performance Liquid Cooling
    •Liquid Cooling Tubing Color - Clear / None
    •AMD Motherboard - [SLI / X-Fire] ASRock 970 EXTREME4 [Graphics Card Req.] SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 {4 DDR3 Slots}
    •Overclocking Processor - Stock Speed
    •Memory - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    •Memory Cooling - None
    •Primary Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 RPM
    •Hard Drive Cooling - None
    •Secondary Hard Drive - None
    •Secondary Hard Drive Cooling - None
    •1st Optical Drive - DVD Writer
    •2nd Optical Drive - None
    •Graphics Card - AMD Radeon 7850 2GB (Min. 600 Watt Power Supply)
    •Liquid Cool Graphics Card - None
    •[SLI / X-fire] Second Video Card - None
    •[SLI / X-fire] Liquid Cool Graphics card - None
    •Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
    •Operating System - Windows 8 Home Premium 64 Bit
    •Networking - Standard Onboard Ethernet
    •Fan Controller - None
    •Media Card Readers - None
    •Sound Card - Integrated HD Audio
    •PC Games - None
    •TV Tuners - None
    •Office Software - None
    •Antivirus Software - None
    •Monitor - None
    •Second Monitor - None
    •Mouse - None
    •Keyboard - None
    •Speakers & Headsets - None
    •Packaging - [FREE] Advanced Packaging System - Custom foam to protect and secure internal components from shipping abuse
    •Wiring - [FREE] Professional Wiring - Cables will be organized to achieve maximum airflow
    •Technical Support - Life-time U.S. based technical support and customer service by our own in-house technicians
    •Rush Service - [Standard] Shipped Out in 2 - 10 Business Days
    •Video Demonstration - None
    •Warranty - Standard 3 Years Parts and 3 Years Labor

    The Price will be 1061$. I highly recommend upgrading to a GTX 660 if you can stretch your budget.
  11. lostgamer_03 said:
    •Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer (Mid Tower)
    •Custom Painted Case (Any Color) - None
    •Custom Airbrush Logos & Emblems - None
    •Custom Airbrushed Gamertags - None
    •Additional Case Fans - None
    •Internal Lighting - None
    •AMD Processor - AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz (Eight Core)
    •CPU Cooling - Asetek 550LC High Performance Liquid Cooling
    •Liquid Cooling Tubing Color - Clear / None
    •AMD Motherboard - [SLI / X-Fire] ASRock 970 EXTREME4 [Graphics Card Req.] SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 {4 DDR3 Slots}
    •Overclocking Processor - Stock Speed
    •Memory - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    •Memory Cooling - None
    •Primary Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 RPM
    •Hard Drive Cooling - None
    •Secondary Hard Drive - None
    •Secondary Hard Drive Cooling - None
    •1st Optical Drive - DVD Writer
    •2nd Optical Drive - None
    •Graphics Card - AMD Radeon 7850 2GB (Min. 600 Watt Power Supply)
    •Liquid Cool Graphics Card - None
    •[SLI / X-fire] Second Video Card - None
    •[SLI / X-fire] Liquid Cool Graphics card - None
    •Power Supply - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
    •Operating System - Windows 8 Home Premium 64 Bit
    •Networking - Standard Onboard Ethernet
    •Fan Controller - None
    •Media Card Readers - None
    •Sound Card - Integrated HD Audio
    •PC Games - None
    •TV Tuners - None
    •Office Software - None
    •Antivirus Software - None
    •Monitor - None
    •Second Monitor - None
    •Mouse - None
    •Keyboard - None
    •Speakers & Headsets - None
    •Packaging - [FREE] Advanced Packaging System - Custom foam to protect and secure internal components from shipping abuse
    •Wiring - [FREE] Professional Wiring - Cables will be organized to achieve maximum airflow
    •Technical Support - Life-time U.S. based technical support and customer service by our own in-house technicians
    •Rush Service - [Standard] Shipped Out in 2 - 10 Business Days
    •Video Demonstration - None
    •Warranty - Standard 3 Years Parts and 3 Years Labor

    The Price will be 1061$. I highly recommend upgrading to a GTX 660 if you can stretch your budget.


    Perfect, thanks. It looks like you think the AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz is better than an i5 3570k?
  12. UberSkillioz said:
    Perfect, thanks. It looks like you think the AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz is better than an i5 3570k?


    No way. i5-3570k is better. But it's also more expensive, same goes for a motherboard where you can overclock. You can only spot the difference by getting a high-end GPU such as GTX 680 or Radeon 7970, still the difference wouldn't be vital. :)
  13. lostgamer_03 said:
    No way. i5-3570k is better. But it's also more expensive, same goes for a motherboard where you can overclock. You can only spot the difference by getting a high-end GPU such as GTX 680 or Radeon 7970, still the difference wouldn't be vital. :)


    I've never had an AMD CPU, so I am a little wary about it. How do you like this build for $1056?


    Case - Thermaltake V3 Black Edition (Mid Tower)
    Custom Airbrush Logos & Emblems - None
    Custom Airbrushed Gamertags - None
    Additional Case Fans - None
    Internal Lighting - None
    Intel Processor - [Overclockable] Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo Boost (Quad Core)
    CPU Cooling - Asetek 550LC High Performance Liquid Cooling
    Liquid Cooling Tubing Color - Clear / None
    Kink Coils - None
    Intel Motherboard - ASRock H77 Pro4-M [VGA DVI HDMI] SATA 6Gb/s USB3 {4 DDR3 Slots Max 1600MHz}
    Overclocking Processor - [FREE] Overclock Processor up to 10%
    Overclock Protection Warranty - None
    Overclocking Graphics Card - Stock Speed
    Memory - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
    Memory Cooling - None
    Primary Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 RPM
    Hard Drive Cooling - None
    Secondary Hard Drive - None
    Secondary Hard Drive Cooling - None
    1st Optical Drive - DVD Writer
    2nd Optical Drive - None
    Graphics Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti 1GB (Min. 600 Watt Power Supply)
    Liquid Cool Graphics Card - None
    [SLI / X-fire] Second Video Card - *SLI or X-fire capable motherboard required
    [SLI / X-fire] Liquid Cool Graphics card - None
    [3-way SLI / X-fire] Third Graphics Card - None
    [3-Way SLI / X-fire] Liquid Cool Graphics Card - None
    Power Supply - Standard 600 Watt
    Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Networking - Internal Wireless N 150Mbps
    Fan Controller - None
    Media Card Readers - None
    Sound Card - Integrated HD Audio
    PC Games - None
    TV Tuners - None
    Office Software - None
    Antivirus Software - None
    Monitor - None
    Second Monitor - None
    Mouse - None
    Keyboard - None
    Speakers & Headsets - None
    Packaging - [FREE] Advanced Packaging System - Custom foam to protect and secure internal components from shipping abuse
    Wiring - [FREE] Professional Wiring - Cables will be organized to achieve maximum airflow
    Technical Support - Life-time U.S. based technical support and customer service by our own in-house technicians
    Rush Service - [Standard] Shipped Out in 2 - 10 Business Days
    Video Demonstration - None
    Warranty - Standard 3 Years Parts and 3 Years Labor
  14. This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems