XP SP2 prevents checked kernel execution

Since installing SP2 for XP Pro, I can no longer execute a checked build
using the /kernel= and /hal= options in the boot.ini file. All attempts to
do so results in an error complaining about the system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
file being either corrupted or missing. Obviously SP2 must have replaced
this driver, and who knows how many others.

Bottom line is there a work around? If not, when can we expect to return to
running checked kernels for our development or do we simply chuck SP2?

When I first tried this I ended up with activation hell, but I re-imaged the
mule from a backup and the checked build now loads and runs. So now I'm
using the checked build hal and kernel on SP2. Here's my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Professional" /sos /fastdetect /debugport=com1 /baudrate=115200 /noguiboot
/NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP SP2
Checked" /sos /fastdetect /debugport=com1 /baudrate=115200
/kernel=ntkrnlmp.chk /hal=halmacpi.chk

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little