Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build, No Video, Stuck, Assist Needed

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2012 12:33:56 AM

I'm trying to boot my new ITX system I just built. I went through the troubleshooting sticky with no luck.

BIOSTAR A681-350 MB
Ripjaw 8gb
MI-008 case w/ 250w PSU

The system runs, but no video.

First I connected the 4-pin power supply connector as suggested in the troubleshooter. Would not run at all.

Then I connected the 4-pin connector next to the 20-pin connector on the MB, everything runs, but no video.

The I tried one stick of RAM, no luck. Runs, but no video.

I have also tried the VGA and HDMI connectors separately and tried different monitor and smart TV's. No video.

I don't know what else to do. I checked BIOSTAR's website but they have no video troubleshooting help for their MB's.

Any help is appreciated.
December 20, 2012 12:35:49 AM

Any beep codes?
m
l
December 20, 2012 12:38:58 AM

memadmax said:
Any beep codes?

No beeping at all.

The case mfg included a small speaker that plugs into the front panel connector.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 20, 2012 12:45:42 AM

Ok, so lets get to the root of the problem.
Un plug everything from the motherboard along with the video card and the ram.

You should have only the cpu, cpu cooler, power supply, power switch, and that speaker connected to the motherboard.
Turn the system on, there should be beeping.
December 20, 2012 1:01:36 AM

memadmax said:
Ok, so lets get to the root of the problem.
Un plug everything from the motherboard along with the video card and the ram.

You should have only the cpu, cpu cooler, power supply, power switch, and that speaker connected to the motherboard.
Turn the system on, there should be beeping.

No video card. Everything else removed as instructed.

But I might have found the issue...

I noticed that there are 2 slightly different 4-pin connectors coming off the PSU. One is yellow w/o a locking tab. The other is white w/ a locking tab. Of course, which one did you think I used on the 4-pin locking tab connector? The yellow one w/o the tab.

Hold on for a couple...we'll see if I qualify for a DA award.
m
l
December 20, 2012 1:06:45 AM

Yellow one.
Oh, yea, theres a plug for the 4 pin cable on the motherboard, it needs one of these 4 pin power wires.
That 4 pin wire feeds power to the CPU lol.
m
l
December 20, 2012 1:09:38 AM

And some motherboards come with 2, 4 pin connectors that are side by side, it may even look like 8 pins but you should be able to get away with one 4 pin connector on it for now.
m
l
December 20, 2012 1:30:43 AM

memadmax....ty for your help. by making me take everything back off i found the problem with an improper connection.

i am now loading win7. ty again!

Happy Holidays!
m
l
December 20, 2012 1:31:02 AM

Best answer selected by KnurledNut.
m
l
!