henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

I just installed a 120MB USB external hard drive for my
laptop. I use Windows XP Professional.

I got a message that said performance will be slow
because this computer does not have a "Hi-speed USB Host
Controller."

I went to the Device Manager for my "Intel 82801 CA/CAM
USB Universal Host Controller" and tried to update the
driver. The response was that I have the latest version.

Where do I get this hi-speed controller?

Is the USB port on your PC a USB2.0 port or the older 1.1 port. If it's the
older port, it CANNOT be upgraded, you would need to purchase a PCI USB2.0
card.

However your hard drive will still work (or should do) just at a very slow
1.1 speed.
www.coribright.com