Homebuilt PC won't boot anymore.

xkhol

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
A few weeks ago I built my own PC for the first time. It was booting fine until I tried to connect an HDD in addition to my SSD. I removed the HDD and it was working again. I tried connecting the HDD one more and nothing, so I removed it again and my PC stopped booting. All fans and lights came on, but it was not booting. There was nothing on my screen and the lights on my keyboard wouldn't turn on. So following some advice I found through various searches, I decided to replace my mobo and reconnected everything. Still nothing. Everything powers on and I get no beeps from the internal speaker. All fans are spinning but nothing shows up on my monitor. I'm at a loss and have no idea what is wrong. I've been through the checklist on this site and still no luck. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here's my build if it matters:
*AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core ProcessorASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+
*G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
*Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
*Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
*XFX Core Edition FX-787A-CNFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
*Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case
*OCZ StealthXstream II 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V /EPS12V Power Supply
*Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
*Windows 7 (OEM) (64-bit)
*Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard

xkhol

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
So I just disconnected the DVD drive and it booted once but stopped working again when I moved it to a different monitor. Could it be that the power supply is defective or doesn't have enough capacity for everything I've connected to it?

If it is the PSU, would I need more wattage or is this particular PSU just defective?

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
When you replace the PS, remember two things
1. Don't buy OCZ (only sell multi rail supplies)
2. Do buy a single rail, 80+ bronze rated (minimum) power supply from a reputable company (Antec, Corsair, some Rosewill- not all, Seasonic, Thermaltake, some Coolermaster, not all)

xkhol

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I'm going to RMA it. Thanks for the replies everyone!

xkhol

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I RMA'd the power supply and still nothing. Should I just get a different PSU or could it be another problem? I've been trying to get this damn computer to work again for about a month now and I really don't know what to do anymore.

eshepard

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

sorry man, i will think about, I have no fresh ideas for you as of now