Sign in with
Your question

Worth upgrading or waiting this gen out ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2012 8:21:53 PM

Hello all

I've been thinking of upgrading my 5770 as of late but after reading around on these forums I'm not so sure anymore.

I was looking at the 660ti for just under $300 but see people advise on the regular 660 @ <250 instead. Then some say aim for a cheap 670 if one can be found (black friday perhaps).

Then I see a lot more focus been shifted to Ati cards which makes my decision harder. They appear to give way more FPS for the buck but I'm missing certain things I want from an Nvidia card namley proper 3D support for my monitor ect.

So is it actually worth going for the 660Ti now, waiting for black friday and possibly a cheap 670 or even waiting it out till early next year and see what the 7xx series comes up with ?

Thanks for the help
a b Î Nvidia
November 1, 2012 9:52:10 PM

PC prices continuously get better.
The graphics card market is particularly competitive.
At any given price point, you will get comparable value from either amd or nvidia.
If you need a graphics update now, do it now. Just make certain it is a big jump of several tiers, or you may be disappointed.
No doubt, if you wait, you will gradually get better price performance.
But, then, you will wait forever.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
November 1, 2012 10:04:24 PM

The 7xxx series are great cards. The architecture has been improved a lot. the 8xxx series will be better no doubt. But it will probably not be as big of a step up as the 7xxx series was. So if you really want to upgrade i would do it now. But if you can wait it out I would sugest so. Just keep in mind that whe na new card series come out they are rediculously expensive.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 1, 2012 10:09:19 PM

... The next series of video cards is going to be coming out in just a couple months, and, contrary to what rehiedahla is saying, they're going to be a huge jump. The 8000 series is going to be about 30% more powerful than the already-amazing 7- series, and comparable named cards are going to be cheaper.

That being said, if you really, REALLY want nvidia, their cards are going to be coming out soon too.
m
l
November 1, 2012 10:24:50 PM

I suggest waiting it out till the new 8000s series comes out.
m
l
!