Internal speakers and HDD

Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi all,

Is it safe for the HD to be next to the internal speakers? I read that magnets and HDs don't go together. My case has a weird setup. The internal speaker is right next to where the HD mount is located. Me thinks I should take out the speakers. What do you think?

--sign here--
"I used Thevenin to simplify my motherboard's circuits."
--by me--

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
As long as it's magnetically shielded then you have nothing to worry about! Most speakers that have anything to do with computers are shielded.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Lars,

How would I know if the speakers are shielded? Will they have some sort of lamination? If so, then I didn't feel any on the speakers of one of my systems. This system is one of two that had consecutive drive failures within a week's span.

--sign here--
--by me--

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Can you move the internal speaker away from the HD?

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Or just take it out? I don't think mine is even plugged in.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Qacer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, that was my original intention to take it out. However, I wanted to be sure whether or not it was the culprit that caused my HD failure. Recently, I was told that it does not cause HD failures, but it can possibly erase data.

It looks like I will end up taking it out. But before I do it, I'm going to look for a plastic casing for it.

Thanks! Happy Holidays!
:)

--sign here--
--by me--

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
internal speakers arnt shielded, they are just a speaker, not normally encassed, however they are normally quite a few inches from the hdd, which is plenty of distance, I personally throw them away as I dont like my pc beeping at me, if you are concerned, move the speaker away from the hdd's

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, in my old at case, for my 233 mmx, the pc speaker was like RIGHT under the hard drive rack...like mounted on the hard drive rack.
i dont know why.
but i didnt move it, and didnt have ANY problems with the hard drive.
and i dont think plastic casing is magnetic shielding...is it?
i always thought that magnetic fields passed through plastic.
maybe there is some magic plastic that keeps magnetic fields from passing through them.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-