Good cheapish graphics card upgrade? [Gaming]

SJLSspec

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
So my Dad recently got me a desktop which I plan to upgrade overtime - dependent on the cash flow - to be a fairly good gaming machine. However, the graphics card just won't do for gaming.
I wanted to upgrade the graphics card with a fairly good replacement until I have the money to get the one I really want. This means I want it to be good enough to handle games without a sporadic frame rate and to handle higher detailed graphics where possible, however I don't need it to be top of the line as it will be temporary.

My machines specifications, including the current graphics card:

Case : Galaxy 3 Gamers Style Midi Tower Case
Motherboard : Gigabyte H61M Motherboard Technology
CPU : Intel I5 2500K Unlocked CPU
Hard Drive : 1tb Sata Hard Drive
Memory : 8gb DDR3 1333 Memory
Graphics Card : Onboard Intel 3000 Graphics
Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer Sata DVD Writer

I'm pretty new to building PCs, so I wanted your opinions on the best options for me before diving in and buying.

I have a budget of £150 / $242USD.

I was considering the ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti, however at only 1gb... Thoughts?

All the best, and a preemptive thanks for the help. :)

Honestly, you already have a pretty nice build there, aside from the integrated graphics.

A 650ti doesn't need more than 1gb vram, because it won't be maxxing out battlefield 3 or crysis 2 anyways. It's a good card.

The other option is to look at the equivalent Radeon cards - they offer a LOT more bang for your buck.