Which Would You Suggest For Gaming?

theelement

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hey there I've been considering upgrading my computer for gaming but im not sure which bare bones kit would be better? Helping you guys can help!
Barebones #1: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) AM3 Socket Motherboard, AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.70GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3 Ram Memory, MSI GeForce GT 640 1GB, DDR3, Overclocked Video card.

Vs

Barebones #2: ASUS M5A78L-MLX Motherboard, AMD PHENOM II X6 1045T Processor, 8GB DDR3 Ram Memory, MSI R4350-MD1GD3H/LP Radeon HD 4350 Video Card 1GB.

theelement

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Really I didn't know or would have thought the Pentium could outperform a 6 core im shocked haha. What about an Intel Core 2 Dual would that outperform both Pentium and Phantom? I want something a littler newer then the Pentium

theelement

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: December 25 2012 (Boxing Day)

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400): $300; Free Shipping; No Rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Gaming, Web Surfing, Burning Movies)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM): CPU, Motherboard, Ram, Reusing ULTRA 600watt Power Supply.

Do you need to buy OS: Nope

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:TigerDirect[/link]

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Any AMD CPU or Intel Core 2 Dual CPU, Asus or MSI Mobo, Kingston Ram.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x1200

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Running older Pentium D just not cutting it anymore.

The Pentium is actually newer than the Phenom II x6, the phenom is actually quite old now. Core 2 duos are very old now, like 3 generations behind.

The reason the Phenom II x6 isn't great for games is that they aren't even going to touch the 5th and 6th cores. They won't even fully utilise the 3rd and 4th.

The Sandy Bridge Pentiums are great for the price in terms of gaming performance. The only AMD CPU's worth even looking at for games are the Athlon II x3's, Phenom II x4's and FX-4's. Only the Phenom out of those would even outperform the Pentium, the FX-4 would be about the same and the Athlon would be a bit weaker.

Another good reason to get the Pentium is that your resolution is quite high, that's more taxing on the GPU than CPU. HD 6670 isn't going to be great, I'd aim for a HD 7750 if possible.

theelement

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Ahhh I see thanks for clearing it up, its makes alot of sense now that its in prospective. So if you suggest Pentium for gaming im currently running a Pentium D @ 2.80GHz, 1GB of ram & Nvidia Geforce 9500GT. Could I just uprage my ram & video card ?