Hello,

With thanksgiving coming up, thought of getting something for my new build. So was thinking, 7970 or GTX680? Clueless about the newer model. Out of touch completely with the tech stuff these days.

I thought of GTX690... but at a $1000, it seems hopeless!

There is two versions of 7970, the GHz version and the normal version.

The GHz version is the answer towards 680 and the 7970 (non-GHz) is the answer to 670.

I would say, if you love overclocking, then pick up the 7970 GHz version, if not? Then the 680. :)

Well to be honest... this time I am going a different route to build. I have nothing. Not even a mouse pad. So am getting a GPU first and will build a system around it.

My last build was an ATI way back when 4xxx were rocking. So just marginally leaning towards nVidia this time. But its nothing fixed.

Just looking for a value for money high end card.

Rather than building around a video card, I'd recommend building around a monitor setup. The resolution, how many monitors, refresh rate and whether you want 3D will make heavily influence what card to get.

I've had both AMD and Nvidia, Ive been a fanboy of AMD a long time. Then I tried Nvidia, and my opinion was changed!

Nvidia just Works better in my opinion, Nvidia performs better on stock speeds which fits me perfectly. Nvidia has so much better drivers and the Cards are more stable.

A lot of people would surely disagree with me, but this my experience between the two brands.

I have a gtx 660 right now, and I love it. So I think you'll love the gtx 680 just as much, and probably even more!

Limerick

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
The 7970 is a very good choice. I have the 7950, which is basiclly the 7970, and it work wonderfully. It overclocks very well. I have mine clocked form 800MHz to 1235MHz. It rips apart games especially, even more so when I got another and crossfired them.

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

The 2412M isn't a high res monitor. Unless you meant multiple monitors, in which case yeah the 7970 would be a better fit.
The 7970 is the better value at the moment with the free games that are included and all. But I am a nvidia fan so I chose the 680. PLus with nvidia you get Phys X and adaptive v-sync

For monitors I was primarily looking at the IPS panel monitors. I have to do some research on that. Not yet finalized though.

So the bottom line i get here, both are equally good and I wont go wrong with either. If i do go for the 7970, i would definitely go for the GHz edition. I just that I haven't used the nVidia cards since the AGP days! So would love to try out the PhysX part and all. So I am leaning towards the GTX 680 for now.

Any other options i should look at?

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Which the 680 you are basically paying 25 percent more for a 10 percent performance increase so yeah the 670 is a better bang for the buck. Diminishing returns definitly comes into play here.

As far as monitors go I have both the 24 inch and 27 inch dell ultrasharp IPS monitors. They are great but now that I've gamed at 1440p there is no way I will ever go back to the 24 incher. If you've got any questions about those feel free to ask.