Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I accidently fried my motherboard.

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2012 9:36:23 AM

I just finished build my second machine, when the first time I try to boot, it seems boot by after a while it completely shut down by itself(I smell something like burn plastic) , and the second when I try to boot, the system won't boot, then I keeping press the power button again and again and suddenly "POP" and "fire". I don't know what to call on the part of the motherboard but this is the picture shown where the POP was happen..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just wanted to know why this is happening, did my CPU is damage? My motherboard is defective? Or it's CPU itself just overheating, this is why I smell plastic burn when I try to boot the machine? Or could it be my PSU is the problem(It works on other system). Please help. I don't know what to do. (Gonna RMA the motherboard)

Spec:
Mobo: MSI H61m / P31 / w8
CPU: i5 2400
Ram 8GB ram
PSU: Silverstone Essention 750 watt PSU
GPU: NOt yet.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2012 10:58:25 AM

you probably blew the motherboard. make sure you didnt mix the 8pin pcie power with 8 pin cpu power
m
l

Best solution

December 20, 2012 11:14:44 AM

Looking at the picture it looks like you popped a few voltage regulators there.
The causes are this.
1. A really cheap PSU/ obviously not since it was a silverstone :) 
2. A short on the back of the motherboard IE a standoff touching the back of the board.
3. Underrated wattage the board can output for the Cpu fitted.
4. Something inserted wrongly, or not inserted correctly.

Number two looks like the cause, a short on the back of the board. So have a check of the back plate of the case where the mobo was in line with the burned voltage regulator. Could of been a bad one so see if its covered for RMA.
Related resources
December 20, 2012 11:30:49 AM

yep I did that one time... I didn't remove the post that holds the motherboard away from the base plate, back when we changed from XT to ATX form factors...
m
l
December 20, 2012 11:37:57 AM

weaselman said:
Looking at the picture it looks like you popped a few voltage regulators there.
The causes are this.
1. A really cheap PSU/ obviously not since it was a silverstone :) 
2. A short on the back of the motherboard IE a standoff touching the back of the board.
3. Underrated wattage the board can output for the Cpu fitted.
4. Something inserted wrongly, or not inserted correctly.

Number two looks like the cause, a short on the back of the board. So have a check of the back plate of the case where the mobo was in line with the burned voltage regulator. Could of been a bad one so see if its covered for RMA.

2. It may be but I didn't test yet on the case, I make my own test bench using the motherboard box
and cover by this and put the motherboard on it...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3. I don't know.
4. I only use CPU, RAM, PSu no HDD yet.(To try boot into BiOS make sure everything is working.)
m
l
December 20, 2012 11:43:10 AM

But on second though, I think I don't correctly apply thermal paste on my CPU that would cause my CPU overheating quickly...I don't know. Anyway thanks for the answers.
m
l
December 30, 2012 7:21:59 AM

Best answer selected by whitex.
m
l
!