Sign in with
Your question

Display driver AMD driver has stopped working and recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2012 1:28:00 AM

Hi guyz, yes, i know there are already so many threads about this topic.
When I play games or watching videos in you tube etc, my screen would freeze for a sec then that message will appear, sometimes it is worst that I will get a blue screen of death involving the atikmpag.sys, video tdr error.

My specs:
Mobo: MSI 760gm - p21 FX
CPU: AMD FX 4100 3.6 ghz
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon 6850 1gb gddr5
RAM: 8GB
PSU: FSP Epsilon 700w (week old)
Case: Thermaltake V3 Black edition

I already did the following:
1. Uninstalled AMD drivers then used driver sweeper before installing the latest AMD driver which is 12.10
2. Updated bios
3. Removing the page file.
4. Memtest (good results)
5. Installed windows updates

Im already so much frustrated. I still dont want to buy a new video card because my current vcard is just less than a year old. Actually every spec is just a year old including my mobo, except my PSU which I bought a week ago. so unsufficient power supply will not be an issue anymore. I also doubt that overheating is the issue because my GPU runs at 60c - 70c when playing and idling at 40c which is normal in Radeon 6850.

Please help me guyz =<

Thanks.

More about : display driver amd driver stopped working recovered

November 2, 2012 1:49:58 AM

Are you overclocking gpu or cpu? I know that can cause driver problems.
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply bro.
I never OC anything. GPU and CPU run at stock.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2012 2:29:49 AM

Removing the page file can cause a lot of problems in applications. Don't remove or reduce it's size even if you have enough ram. Apps specifically look for that location to write to.

If you have more than 1 ram stick, I would try removing them 1 at a time to see if that helps. memtests aren't always 100% thorough.

I would try rolling back to an earlier driver than 12.10.

I would run a windows filesystem check to see if there are any corrupt files.

I would seek out a spare gfx card or onboard if you have it and remove the one in there and see if the problem persists.

And for good measure I would run a virus scan

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. Let me know if any of that works.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:10:02 AM

I already ran a system check. I already rolled back to 12.8 but the problem still occurs.
Maybe Ill just buy a new set of ram, maybe gskill ripjaw. Im only using the ordinary ddr3 memory from kingston (not hyperX).

If the problem still exists, Ill change my gpu to HD7870. and if it is still a problem, ill just throw my pc out of the window and just buy a PS3. LOL!

Thanks bro.
m
l
November 2, 2012 4:22:08 AM

rainbueza said:
I already ran a system check. I already rolled back to 12.8 but the problem still occurs.
Maybe Ill just buy a new set of ram, maybe gskill ripjaw. Im only using the ordinary ddr3 memory from kingston (not hyperX).

If the problem still exists, Ill change my gpu to HD7870. and if it is still a problem, ill just throw my pc out of the window and just buy a PS3. LOL!

Thanks bro.

as you tried everything...and with that tdr error..it suggest that your gpu is failing..so get a new one or you can RMA it(if warranty is there).....and before doing that if you can do then try your gpu in another mobo..if it works then your mobo is the problem(pci e slot is not working properly)
and replacing mobo is lot better then replacing gpu..
m
l
November 2, 2012 4:38:35 AM

might be a vram problem in the gpu. if you get it frequently get it rma'd but if you only get like once or twice a week or so then let it be
m
l
November 2, 2012 10:22:13 AM

I had similar problems both in my HD5770 and HD6850. In HD5770, I was able to eliminate the problem by raising the idle-state ( also called 2D mode ) core and memory clocks by about 30%. In HD6850, the manufacturer of the card offered me a VBIOS update, which increased the core clock from 100 MHz to 300 MHz and memory clock from 150 MHz to 1100 MHz. By the way, memory clock of 1100 MHz is the maximum clock of my HD6850. This means now I have a constant memory clock speed. Afte the VBIOS update, my card became perfect. It is rock-solid. But this operation also killed the energy efficiency of the card.
m
l
November 3, 2012 1:47:15 AM

hi suat and flexxar, the "Display driver amd driver has stopped and recovered" message do not appear anymore, as well as the atikmpag.sys bsod is no more, I think its maybe because I updated my driver to 12.11 from amd. but, when I play the pc restarts after 2-5 mins of gameplay. I am familiar with this kind of problem, I think it has something to do with the PSU, but my PSU is just one week old! and FSP is a descent brand, so do you think my GPU is dying? THanks!
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:08:38 AM

Check your bsod log file at C:\Windows\Minidump. If there is a file for when if restarts, see what it says. That fact there is one means it is not power supply. If there is no file, then that means it cut off before your computer could generate one and it is most likely a power supply problem.
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:14:29 AM

In case that it has something to do w/ the PSU, can I ask for a replacement of it as it is sill under warranty and its just one week old.

By the way my last crash dump says,

On Fri 11/2/2012 4:50:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110312-18704-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B094C)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800798B8F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:17:15 AM

Yeah, you should be able to return it wherever you bought it within about 30 days.
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:19:29 AM

Did it crash since then? Cause that makes it sound like a video card problem
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:24:32 AM

I think ill just return my PSU, maybe tomorrow for replacement. and just buy a new ram and vcard.. whhheeewww..
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:25:22 AM

Yeah, that error was not power supply. So if that's the last time your computer crashed, your power supply is ok. You can read about it here. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardwar...(v=vs.85).aspx

They say to:

1. Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
2. Scan your computer for computer viruses.
3. Check your hard disk for errors.
m
l
!