Sign in with
Your question

New build: p9x79 pro, i7 3930k, 64gb RAM...

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2012 10:17:58 AM

hi, this is my first ever time building my own pc, i have based my build off the IntaAudio Intel i7 Ultimate PC (Intel i7 Ultimate Music PC)

here's my list:

MoBo : ASUS P9x79 Pro (Asus P9X79 PRO Motherboard (Socket 2011, Intel X79, DDR3 Quad Channel, ATX, PCI Express 3.0, Dual Intelligent Processors 3 with New DIGI+ Power Control): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

Proc : Intel i7 3930k (Intel BX80619I73930K Core i7-3930K 6-Core Processor (3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), Socket 2011, 12MB L3 Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8gb x 8 (Corsair 64GB (8x 8GB) Vengeance Memory Module: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

HDD : Corsair SSD Force GT 240gb (Corsair 240GB GTForce Series Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

:Corsair Accelerator drive 60gb (Corsair CSSD-C60GB Accelerator Series 60GB Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

Cooling : Intel liquid cooling (Intel RTS2011LC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

PSU : NesteQ 600w (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o01_s00_i00)

Optical : LG Blu-Ray "Super Multi Blue" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o02_s00_i00)

Graphics card : Asus Nvidia Geforce GT430 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o00_s00_i00)

Case : Define XL (Fractal Design Define XL Series Full Tower Case - Titanium Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)
December 20, 2012 10:22:02 AM

i'm looking for tips on things i should do on a fresh install of windows 7, like partitioning the hard drive or not, i can easily find out how or why to do that but i'm concerned that there could be major things i'm not even aware of, any help would be appreciated.
December 20, 2012 2:20:48 PM

what is this build used for? it needs a lot of changes from what i see right now. but answer my first question
Related resources
December 20, 2012 2:29:23 PM

music production, i know it's overkill for just music but i wanted a pc i wouldnt have to upgrade anytime in the near future. Windows 7 seems to have installed ok, i'm leaving it switched off right now until i've found a guide on initial steps with a new build, what advice would you give? thanks
December 20, 2012 2:46:16 PM

The only thing I can think of is why on Earth get 64gb of RAM? 0_o, 32gb of Ram is Plenty, and I cannot suggest this enough to you please get a more reliable PSU brand like Corsair, XFX, Seasonic. etc....
December 20, 2012 3:21:29 PM

i wanted to build the best PC i could for the money i had, as i have no experience in building computers i decided to copy the one on inta audio's site. @TheBigTroll what things would you change and is there anything major i need to do straight away (like partitioning although i now know that partitioning wouldn't really benefit me)
December 20, 2012 4:11:08 PM

absolute best doesnt mean good value. after the i7 3770k you start to lose a ton of value. the value is only gained back by saving a noticeable amount of time from doing your tasks

use my 3770k, plop windows and applications on the SSD, and the rest on the hard drive. no point of creating multiple partitions if you ask me
December 20, 2012 4:40:30 PM

one thing i want to do is theme the UI, having so much ram and having the graphics card mainly taking care of the visuals, i don't think it would hurt to theme windows, love some of them dark minimal themes but i'm definately NOT getting into any registry editing like some themes (again :s)
December 20, 2012 8:44:11 PM

i'm pretty sure i'll have to reinstall windows 7 anyway :s reading about this IRST driver is worrying me
December 20, 2012 11:40:45 PM

no duh you need to install windows7 on this rig. you arent using anything from your old computer so why worry?
December 21, 2012 7:50:15 AM

i've already installed win 7 but i've read that to get ssd caching (or something similar) working on Asus p9x79pro i need to install a certain driver DURING the installation of win 7
December 21, 2012 10:06:53 AM

how do you install windows 7 on a SSD that you have not bought yet? you dont put windows 7 on any other drive or a cached hard drive

the p9x79 pro is pretty expensive for what it offers. you are way better off going with the z77 rig i suggested or a x79 rig based on the gigabyte motherboard. x79 is overkill for your purposes anyways

ssd caching is useless if you have a large SSD, which i have put inside the build

please look
December 21, 2012 12:17:46 PM

lol, where did i mention i haven't bought it yet? This computer is built with Windows 7 installed, i'm just debating whether to do the Windows 7 install again because i may have missed some stuff
December 21, 2012 2:08:48 PM

wow..... you should have asked BEFORE you build. thats the whole point of this forum.

how do you mess up? you just install windows, install drivers for motherboard and GPU, install programs, and thats it
December 21, 2012 5:55:05 PM

you're right, i'm probably over complicating this whole thing although i just ran my windows 7 index score and most got 7.9 but the Aero performance is only at 4.6?? the laptop i'm writing this on now has 5.9 wtf?!?! i'm wondering if i've got the asus nvidia geforce 430 set up correct
December 21, 2012 11:18:56 PM

yeah its normal for how bad the video card is. but then re-run it to make sure
December 22, 2012 7:43:16 AM

is the asus nvidia geforce 430 a bad video card then? if i'd have known that i'd have spent a bit more on a better one lol
December 22, 2012 9:14:37 AM

*update*

once windows 7 was installed i inserted the DVD that came with the p9x79 pro and installed various software and drivers. I also used other DVD's that came with hardware and installed drivers for them. I have NOT updated the BIOS (should i have done this?) and what i want to know is, will i be ok using the DVD's or am i better getting the latest from websites? (the latter just makes more sense to me but on the Corsair site it says to basically only update to the latest driver if experiencing problems (which i'm not, or not aware of)
December 22, 2012 9:33:03 AM

ALWAYS get the latest drivers for your system. What I did was download the LAN driver from the DVD, then download all my drivers from their websites. That's the best thing you can do. I've "heard" that for my 7870, that if I used the stock drivers, I'd get up to 15 to 20 less FPS in some games than I do with the latest beta drivers.

And yes, honestly the 430 is a pretty bad card. It's an old, low end card. If you want upgrade at all I'd never stoop lower than a 7750 or 650 ti for a decent GPU.
December 22, 2012 11:24:18 AM

thanks for the reply :)  For what i need i think this card will be ok. One of the main things i want to get sorted before installing all my programs is to get the UI looking good, i'm not spending this much on a computer just for it to look like it's running Windows 95, i was hoping that this graphics card would be able to handle the UI and Aero themes "on it's own" leaving all my actual RAM for my programs...etc
December 22, 2012 11:28:51 AM

yeah. you only need the 430 for a display output. should do fine

if you are to do video rendering, getting a high end video card helps as you can use CUDA for those tasks
December 22, 2012 12:03:59 PM

many many thanks for the replies! Google can be awesome but searching for answers on some of this stuff only leaves me with more questions than i had originally lol. My plan for today is to make sure i have the LATEST drivers (even though Corsair tells me to not update to the latest drivers?!?), make a few system tweaks here and there (UAC, indexing, power options...etc) and to get my UI looking the way i want it. I'll create a system restore point then.
December 22, 2012 7:53:25 PM

Not sure why they would say NOT to get the latest drivers. That doesn't make sense. The only thing a manufacturer tells people to not update would be the BIOS because you do you the small risk of killing you whole computer (If you don't have dual bios's)
December 22, 2012 9:18:49 PM

"If you are stable and do not have issues, we suggest that you do not flash your firmware.

This update is intended to not be destructive. However, we strongly urge that you back up any important data before beginning this procedure."

doesn't fill me with much confidence :s (i've updated all drivers apart from this one)
December 22, 2012 9:37:22 PM

Well luckily, my motherboard came stock with the newest 2.0 BIOS. If your bios is really old, I'd update it. But if it's somewhat new, just play it safe and don't update.
December 22, 2012 10:31:58 PM

i've found an updater tool in the corsair forum but when i run it the ssd doesn't get detected, i now realise i haven't initialized/formatted the ssd. Am i ok to do this now and what mode (MBR or GPT) would be best for me? help is appreciated :) 
December 22, 2012 11:09:58 PM

I've heard that they are basically the same, but MBR offers more security functions or something. I don't have an SSD, so I have no firsthand experience. But it seems safe to say that MBR is better option.
December 24, 2012 8:39:30 PM

BreadWhistle said:
I've heard that they are basically the same, but MBR offers more security functions or something. I don't have an SSD, so I have no firsthand experience. But it seems safe to say that MBR is better option.

I went with GPT, i checked my MoBo and it supports UEFI. I'm never going to be removing this drive so the compatibility with other systems isn't an issue.
!