How long will 2gb vram be enough?

pckid22

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
The title says it all....some games already go over that limit. Do you think 4gb will become standard soon? Also, this is kind of random and not having much to do with the title, but anyone know when new gfx cards series will be released from both nvidia and amd and how much better they will most likely be? Thanks

2GB is plenty for 1080p gaming. Only some really memory intensive games like Metro 2033 come close to using 2GB (from what I have seen the most that is used is 1.5GB).

The Radeon 8000 cards from AMD will be releasing new year-ish. From the looks of some leaked documents concerning the 8800 cards, it looks to be very competitively priced.
The GTX700 from Nvidia has nothing solid on it so far, but I estimate they will release 3rd quarter 2013.

docxxx

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

and still today also for gaming purpose with single monitor(most people use single monitor) 4 GB RAM is more then enough....

There are only a few games that need more than 1GB at 1080p, so 2GB will last a while. The only two games I have played that come even close to using all 2GB on my card are Skyrim on ultra with high res textures from Bethesda, plus additional high rest texture mods, and Crysis 2 maxed out with high res textures.

For single displays at least, 2GB will remain enough for a while.

I'm running X2 GTX 460's and I'm doing fine with 1GB vRAM. Even in the most demanding games everything is more than playable at high settings on 1080P. Actually most games can run perfect on the highest settings. Maybe in the next couple years 2GB will be necessary but for now it's not.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
When 4k becomes the same standard that 1080 is now, Im sure 2gb Vram will start to become an issue....I think your safe for the time being though...

AMD should have started to release their next gen cards by Q1 2013