Powers Down After A Few Seconds

Bellular

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hello. My computer was pre build from Arbico. Since purchasing I have installed a 2TB Seagate HDD, 12gb Kingston HyperX RAM and a GTX560ti. Rather randomly It stopped booting. When I press power the lights on the motherboard flash green/red as normal but the system then shuts off. I thought it could have been due to the power supply, but after using a new Corsair 750W 80+ gold the same issue occurs. I have a motherboard speaker however it no longer works - when It did the beeps indicated no problems. Here are the specs:

CPU: I7 920
GPU:GTX560ti
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
PSU:Corsair 750W 80+ gold
RAM: 3x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
HDD@ 2 TB Seagate

What I have done:
Fully cleaned the case
Tested each stick of RAM
Tested the GPU
Used a new PSU
Reseated the CPU heatsink (stock)

I think I will probably wind up having to buy a new CPU (probably a 3570k) and motherboard.

Any help would be fantastic!

Bellular

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. Already worked through that list (very good list though), on both PSU's. Its setup on a testbench (aka mobo case) so there isnt any chance of metal shorting it. Still the same - mobo lights turn on, fans start then it dies.

Smartd

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
How old is your system build?

Do you have stock cpu cooler installed?

had an issue similar to yours where my system would boot up for like 3 seconds the everything shuts off. In the end my cpu was bad, some how it got burned out and also I had bad rams however the bad rams would still allow the system to randomly boot but would shut off on it's own.

try to independently test your cpu in a known working motherboard, if you don't have one take it to a shop and have someone try it for you.

Bellular

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

Thanks :). Ive got to head out for a bit but Ill get to work on that when I get back. I really need to get to the bottom of the mobo speaker no longer working.

Bellular

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011

Originally 3 years old - roughly when then 1st generation I7s were released. Since then ive upgraded components so all thats left of the original build are the cpu and mobo. I ran it with just 1 stick of RAM (slot furthest from the CPU) and the CPU. Everything powered up and died a second later.

Bellular

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Ok I have breadboarded and unfortunatly still the same issue. There are no beeps from the mobo speaker - however I suspect the speaker is faulty. Ill buy a new one and try again.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

If you got another machine laying around pull the speaker from it. (also a good way to test the psu)
Now it's time to check what is bad :(. Keep going through his steps for checking the psu first, etc.