7970 or 8000 series?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2012 5:32:40 AM

Specs:

win7 64bit
i5 3570k@4.4
8GB RAM
6870 crossfire

So I added my 2nd 6870 bout a year ago now, thought it was a smart idea based on what i'd seen, and while performance is pretty good in games, the amount of games that Xfire actually works with properly and at launch is pretty minuscule, Borderlands 2 is the only game in recent memory that had Xfire working on launch, usually you have to wait several months or more before crossfire worked, and by then you've probably beaten the game. Hell, max payne 3 STILL doesn't work with Xfire and it looks like its not gonna get fixed. Plus there is microstuttering, so I play with v-sync which makes the mouse feel awkward. So most of the time I end up disabling crossfire because of lack of support and only get the performance of a single 6870, and I've had my first 6870 for about 2 years now. Plus I do make youtube vids, and Fraps takes quite a hit on your FPS, so I end up either lowering Gfx or playing with bad framerates.

So I've been wanting to upgrade to a high powered single GPU for a while now, and I was about to spring on AMD's "Never Settle" deal and get the XFX DD Black ed 7970 that comes with the 3 AAA games, one of them being farcry 3, which according to its specs, wants a 7970 or gtx 680 For 'High Performance". I was totally set on ordering it, when I saw some rumors about the 8000 series, which apparently comes out early next year. From the speculation i've seen, it appears that the top end 8xxx card will be faster (something like 30%) and cheaper than the 7970.

So as you can guess, i'm totally on the fence about this now, I don't want to wait, but I want the best deal for my money.

Any suggestions? Wait or buy now? I'm leaning towards buy now.

More about : 7970 8000 series

November 2, 2012 6:08:30 AM

If you're running 6870 X2, wait then.....it's not like our GPUs are anywhere near cant play any games..
m
l
November 2, 2012 6:18:05 AM

chawliethefair said:
Specs:

win7 64bit
i5 3570k@4.4
8GB RAM
6870 crossfire

So I added my 2nd 6870 bout a year ago now, thought it was a smart idea based on what i'd seen, and while performance is pretty good in games, the amount of games that Xfire actually works with properly and at launch is pretty minuscule, Borderlands 2 is the only game in recent memory that had Xfire working on launch, usually you have to wait several months or more before crossfire worked, and by then you've probably beaten the game. Hell, max payne 3 STILL doesn't work with Xfire and it looks like its not gonna get fixed. Plus there is microstuttering, so I play with v-sync which makes the mouse feel awkward. So most of the time I end up disabling crossfire because of lack of support and only get the performance of a single 6870, and I've had my first 6870 for about 2 years now. Plus I do make youtube vids, and Fraps takes quite a hit on your FPS, so I end up either lowering Gfx or playing with bad framerates.

So I've been wanting to upgrade to a high powered single GPU for a while now, and I was about to spring on AMD's "Never Settle" deal and get the XFX DD Black ed 7970 that comes with the 3 AAA games, one of them being farcry 3, which according to its specs, wants a 7970 or gtx 680 For 'High Performance". I was totally set on ordering it, when I saw some rumors about the 8000 series, which apparently comes out early next year. From the speculation i've seen, it appears that the top end 8xxx card will be faster (something like 30%) and cheaper than the 7970.

So as you can guess, i'm totally on the fence about this now, I don't want to wait, but I want the best deal for my money.

Any suggestions? Wait or buy now? I'm leaning towards buy now.

I upgraded from two hd 5870s in crossfire six months ago to a sapphire oc 7970. Loved my 5870s in crossfire. I run a 30 in monitor with everything turned up and they did pretty well but they are monster cards and would generate a ton of heat. I stressed over buying a 7970 or gtx 680 for about 2 months and went with a 7970 cause prices were much better at the time, plus it came with 3 steam games as well. I am not a amd or nvidia fanboy, also have a pc still rolling a gtx 470, which has been a great card as well, but I have to say that the 7970 has been nothing but impressive!!! I get better framerates than my 5870s in crossfire with muuuuch less heat in my case, regardless of what the gpu graph monkeys say. I have gamed for 10 years and this is the first card where I have never noticed any lag in any game on my 30 inch monitor, even in games like battlefield 3 with all the goodies turned up. Plus this sapphire card has a built in switch that lets you overclock the card just by flipping the switch. There seems to be plenty of power here in this card and you figure whenever the 8000 series or next generation card does come out, your gonna pay a premium (regardless of the 30% rumors) for it. Most 7970 cards are fairly well priced now and the gtx 680s might be too now, plus that XFX card u were eyeing probably already is overclocked nicely as well. But up to you. I figure I'll be set for a few years with this card. Hope this helps. One last bit of advice from my experience and research buying this card=make sure that XFX card has at least a dual custom fan on it. All the blogs and reviews I read (and there were tons) all were not favorable to the factory cooling fan on the original 7970 card. That was another reason I went with sapphires 7970 oc cause of its custom fans and cooling pipes and has paid off in spades as far as heat and is quieter than my 5870s.
m
l
!