I7 3930k + gtx 670, good combo for VFX?

Hello,
I already have a GTX 670 running with an old quad core with 4 gb of RAM, and i am about to change all except for the video card for using Houdini and Nuke.
I though about buying a core i7 3930k processor with an asus rampage and 32 bg of RAM.
Is it a good combo? Otherwise, what's your suggestions.
Thanks,

Mattin
4 answers Last reply
More about 3930k good combo
  1. Are you talking about visual FX, like 3D modeling? If so, my buddy uses a FirePro video card, but you can also go with a Quadro as well.
  2. djosbun said:
    Are you talking about visual FX, like 3D modeling? If so, my buddy uses a FirePro video card, but you can also go with a Quadro as well.

The bad thing is the Quaddros are so old now - they're like four or five years old. There's the new K5000 which is Keppler based but that will set you back a good $2,700. :ouch:
  3. I will stay with my 670 which has SLI, Once i need more power i will think of a Quadro i guess. Or maybe buy 2 more 670s and put them in an SLI chain, what do you think?
  4. premini said:
    I will stay with my 670 which has SLI, Once i need more power i will think of a Quadro i guess. Or maybe buy 2 more 670s and put them in an SLI chain, what do you think?

GTX is a thing, Quadro and Tesla another thing.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gtx RAM Intel i7 Systems