Using Two Video Cards?

treidenb

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2001
I am putting together a new Athlon XP machine, but am currently using a PCI ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Card (only 16 MB but a great card). I want to add a newer AGP Video Card (possibly a GeForce 2 with 64MB). I want to spend the least amount of money, but have a decent video card for DVDs and games and the TV Tuner to capture video. The All-In-Wonder has worked very well for video capture and I have heard of problems with other TV-Tuners. Would it be possible to use an AGP card as the primary display and the PCI card as a secondary display, mainly for the TV-Tuner? Would the input from the All-In-Wonder be able to route to the monitor output of the AGP card? I tried installing an AGP Radeon with the PCI All-In-Wonder, but it GPFed when I booted. I was thinking that it might have been because both are ATI cards and used the same display drivers. Also, if it would work, would Win2k be the best Windows OS?
Thanks.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Yes, it would work but since I have never set this up I can't ofer you any advice. I did know someone who had this setup though and it worked fine. He has one PCI card and one AGP card and used both at the same time for dual monitors. Damned if I can remember what the cards were or which was the PCI (I think he had an AIW 128 PCI, but I'm not sure).

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

yellowood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
You can use to video cards in a computer (AGP & PCI). It's the old fashioned way of getting dual monitor set-up. Not all video cards will work in this setup, I remember reading a FAQ over at ATI web site about which cards will work, i don't know if these include AIW. Then I guess, you need some software to make it all happen. I believe that win2k can set 2 video cards automatically.

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...

fulgore_123

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Yes u can, but a little different from the way u think. I had a similar setup.
agp: voodoo3 2000
Pci: ATI allinwonder pro

When I selected pci as my first choice of video device, it was able to recognize both videocards and did let me use voodoo for games when I simply switched the monitor cable from one to the other. U can't watch tv on a monitor which isn't connected to the ati card (something to do with video overlay). That's been my experience with dual video cards. I really liked it when I had it.

:cool: Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Only the card that is set to primary will have all the fancy feature. The Geforce card will not have all the 3D functions when it is not set to primary. You will not be able to watch TV on your All-in-Wonder when it is not set to the primary. In Win2k you can make the switch without restart the windows.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i think u can't watch TV because for a hardware point of view, your tv tuner is uniquely on your aiw

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i think it's likely an ATI compatibillty hardware problem because you don't boot with both.

have a look on ATI FAQS, it could be that your pb is referenced to.

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.