Gpu temps for a geforce 6800

aderalis

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hello,
My geforce 6800 is running hot. 75C when idling in desktop. When running a full load it got up to 100C before I shut it off. Any suggestions.

Solution
I'd say check the dust first, just remember those cards do run extremely hot compared to other cards from the day. If cleaning it out doesn't help it out you can even go as far as replacing the fan.

mace200200

Honorable
I'd say check the dust first, just remember those cards do run extremely hot compared to other cards from the day. If cleaning it out doesn't help it out you can even go as far as replacing the fan.

Solution

aderalis

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Thank you. I will try all of the above starting with clearing dust, the thermal paste, and if it is a bad fan then I think I will just save up for a new card. The fan seems to be ok though. And yes I know its a relic lol.

aderalis

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Do you know the normal temps these cards should run at during up-time and down-time? I didn't know that they ran hotter then other cards so I don't know is the optimal temp now.

mace200200

Honorable

I think that around 80C at load is a good temperature for it, I'm really not sure just that they run hot.

aderalis

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks to all who replied. Hopefully the thermal paste and cleaning will solve the problem cuz I can't afford a new card at the moment. At least not a card of the quality I want. If I'm going to get a new card might as well save up and get a decent one. Thanks again.