Building first computer, 1000$ budget.

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Next few weeks. I would like to have the computer as long as possible, so any future proofing I could do would be great.

Budget Range: I'd like to keep the computer itself under $900, but would be willing to stretch it closer to 1000$ if the performance bonus is worth it.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No, for the time being I will be using linux.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not important to me, just want to get the best value.

Parts Preferences: I've read that intel processors are better in the performance tasks area for the value, so intel (please post your opinion about this if you feel like it). I would also like to explore the possibility of a 6-core processor, but I'm guessing this is out of my budget so a quad core would be nice.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, either

Your Monitor Resolution: No monitor yet, I'll probably pick up one on craigslist for cheap.

Additional Comments: Window would be cool, but I'm not set on it or anything. Also would be nice to have hardware AES / virtualization support.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I only own a laptop, which has been good, but lately I've been wanting to do some more demanding tasks like running modern games, virtual machines, etc.

Thank you for reading,
sadblue

Solution
No worries :)

1. Clock speed is irrelevant unless you're comparing two models of the same series (e.g. FX8320 vs FX8350). Even then, it doesn't make a huge performance difference unless it's a big clock speed difference and there's CPU bottlenecking going on. You can't determine how a CPU will perform from looking just at specs - you need to look at benchmarks (actual performance tests). And in those, Intel does much better than AMD at gaming even with fewer cores and lower clocks.

2. As above, you're worrying too much about specs again. It can be interesting to learn about that stuff, but there's no practical application when it comes to making a purchasing decision. Again, benchmarks in reviews will tell you everything you need to...

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

I've used windows most of the time I've used computers, and only recently tried linux. I have had frustration before about not being able to run things I used to on windows, though for many things I've found an alternative (games NOT being one of them). So I think I will do a dual boot, thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah Linux has good alternatives to most things, with one or two exceptions (such as a large selection of games or a decent raster image editor). You've got a pretty good budget there, so for the core components, I'd say an i5 3570K, GTX660 and 120GB Samsung 830 would be a good place to start, on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4. For PSU, something from Seasonic, XFX, PC Power & Cooling (Silencer and Silencer Mk III lines), Silverpower... and in the region of 550-650 watts, depending on how much headroom you want for future upgradability.

EDIT: And the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo is the standard cooler recommended, since it's cheap and effective :)

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

I'm using pcpartspicker right now, there are so many cards labeled GTX660, and then some of them have TI, which I read is for "Titanium", is getting a TI worth it in your opinion? I couldn't really find what the advantage actually is. Also it seems the main difference on the multiple cards is the clock rate (980MHz, 1.02Ghz, 1.07Ghz), is the performance bonus from a 980 to a 1.02 or 1.07 worth it for the price? 1.07 seems to be around 20$ more than 980.

I've always had trouble when thinking about getting a computer, I always tend to want the more expensive part which I usually can't afford, but I've realized even if I get the less expensive one it will likely be more than I need.

Thanks.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $924.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-20 16:10 EST-0500)

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
This build will do nicely for gaming..could always add in a SSD for a bit more or add one in later...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/toRo
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/toRo/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/toRo/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($217.86 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($56.69 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $872.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-20 16:17 EST-0500)

You will have to drive to microcenter if there is one near you though..they have nice combo deals too..have to add in about $40 more if no MC near you.

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Seems very nice, thank you, I realized I already have a hard drive so it's only 743.93 after rebates. Anyone else have any opinions about this like anything you would substitute?

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Okay I most likely will. I do have a concern about SSD's though, I've heard they stop working after a certain number of writes, has this been a problem for you?

That is indeed true, but it's not a problem really. You're looking at probably a decade or more of use before that happens - a hard disk wouldn't survive as long. Difference is that when a hard disk dies, it REALLY dies. When an SSD's write/erase cycles are depleted, it simply becomes read-only. It's no use for running Windows, but no files are lost.

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Okay I see, thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I've a question. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/toW7

With that build, how much power are we talking about for games? Would this be able to run demanding games at max settings? For example Grand Theft Auto 4. And I keep seeing 1080 resolution mentioned. Would that be possible with this build? or is that out of my budget?

That looks awesome! And 1080p is well within the GTX660's capabilities. Infact you should demand it ;-) GTX660 will run every game I know of with everything cranked up to max, 1080p and anti-aliasing, except for one game (Far Cry 3). That will still run flawlessly 1080p and AA though, just drop settings to medium-high.

Only thing I'd say with that spec and it's a minor detail, but I've had some really bad experiences with Lite-On writers. Many coasters created. It's only Samsung that have never let me down in that regard (even companies I'd regard as higher quality like Plextor, Pioneer or Sony have failed with some burns).

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Sweet then.

Okay heres the final build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tpoU

Is there anything you would personally change here, that would be worth going over $1000? I'm completely new to this and this is a decent amount of money so I just want to be sure I get the most I can from it. I just chose to cheapest 1920x1080 and optical drive.

By the way, out of curiosity what is your build?

I'd switch that SSD to a Samsung 830. The M4 is a really superb drive, but the 830 is even better and shouldn't be more expensive either. Mobo looks good - nicely-spaced slots if you ever want to SLI. For monitor, you really don't want to take the cheapest. It's up to you of course, but I wouldn't use anything that isn't an IPS panel. I actually stuck with my big old CRT until I got this IPS TFT. I purchased several TN TFTs before I got this, and returned them all due to the lack of colour quality/accuracy compared to my CRT. It was a really amazing graphics-professional type CRT, and the only way to get anywhere near that quality with a flatpanel was IPS.

My spec is:
- i7 920
- 6GB DDR3 CAS8
- Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (does that look like 'UDDER' to you?)
- Radeon 4870 (was a 5970 but it died recently so this is a temporary fallback)
- 80GB Intel X25-M
- Corsair TX850

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
If you're going to spend $1K on a gaming rig then it should definitely include Windows too.
Windows 8 Pro goes for $40 until end of january having all the features of Windows 7 Ultimate pretty much along with all the new Windows 8 features
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

You can also get Media Center add-on for free until end of january
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

If you don't wanna use Metro UI, get Classic Shell
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Well-spotted there by Soda-88. Unless you already have a copy of course. I'd stick with Windows 7 personally, but if you get Windows 8, Start8 looks like a pretty awesome addon. Basically puts the Metro start screen into a start menu button for you. Or replicates the Windows 7 start menu if you prefer. It's pretty configurable, looks excellent. There have been a load of complaints in the forums about stability issues and driver problems in Windows 8, though it will probably be ironed out in time.

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Thank you to everyone.

I'm so tempted to buy this right now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/trOu

I'd really like to cut down the cost if I can. I'm thinking about just getting a SSD later when I can afford it, since I already have a 7400RPM 500GB WD lying around, how much will this hurt the performance? Also thinking getting a cheaper power supply, though I've heard this is one of the things you shouldn't skimp on since you could fry everything apparently. Can anyone suggest some good brands for PS and what you have had a good experience with? And the IPS monitor I'm not sure about.

How long do you think it will be before games start coming out that couldn't run on this with decent settings? Just want to make sure it will be relevant for a few years, maybe 3-4 even.

Question about processors, people are saying that the i5 3570k is better than the i7 at gaming, while the i7 is better at other things? What do they mean and is this true?

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Some good brands of PSU's are Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, Antec ...I have had very good experiences with corsair.

Hard to say about how long it will run with the games...i broke my crystal ball a few years ago..but it would be very solid now.

The 3570K is one of the best gaming processors now. The i7 is very good too actually a bit better by a minute margin. And, the i7 will out perform the i5 in things like rendering videos..in gaming they are almost the same. ....no hyper threading needed in most current games...hell you really don't even need 4 cores yet for most games...but that is changing.. so for around $100 less then the i7..the i5 is currently..for the money.. the sweet spot for gaming.

Good luck with your build..and happy gaming

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Okay thanks for the explanation. :)

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Currently it looks like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tsXq

Could anyone suggest a less expensive case that would be adequate for the other parts in the build? Would be nice to have a side window and plenty of cooling, I'm trying to find one in the pcpartspicker.com list, but having trouble finding a good one. I don't really like how the current case looks either personally.

And if someone could check if anything is bottle necked, or if I could save money on it somehow please do tell.

sadblue055

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Okay thanks.

Hey I read that the 3570k can be overclocked to near 5Ghz, would I need water cooling or something to do that or would the case be sufficient? Is there any disadvantages to overclocking? And the graphics card?

Does it matter that the 3570k has no "hyper-threading"?

And I'm curious why is this cheaper than the 2gb one when it has 4gb? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42647kr

Thanks.

EDIT: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zalman-case-zmz9u3 <- what do you think of this case for my build? I really like it. I'm not really sure how to judge if the airflow is enough though.