Sign in with
Your question

How to improve resolution for PC to HDTV?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2012 1:05:38 PM

Hello,

I have a decent graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro FX 580) on my Windows 7, 64 bit PC and want to use a HDTV as a monitor.

I tried using a DVI to HDMI cable but all the graphics have a ragged edge around them even with settings on both PC and HDTV set at highest resolution (1080 x 1920).

I heard of two possible solutions; use a DVI to VGA cable (as I don't need audio out the HDTV) or try the "Powerstrip" program.
What would be the best choice of these two to try if any?

Thanks,

Jim
November 2, 2012 2:31:57 PM

The ragged edges is caused by the TV not being set up to recieve the HDMI signal from a PC. You have to manually change the TV settings or select auto-detect and it should correct itself. What make of TV do you have?
November 3, 2012 12:18:55 AM

Unfortunately a low budget Sceptre 32". I wanted a 32" size screen but did not want to spend a bundle on a LCD monitor. I have a very nice 27" LCD for CAD work but it was 160% more in cost than the Sceptre. I did not find a way to manually change the TV settings or an auto-detect as you suggest. There is a PC input setting but I would have to use the DVI to VGA cable to allow that input to light up.
thanks,
Jim
November 3, 2012 8:37:09 AM

jimmyq said:
Unfortunately a low budget Sceptre 32". I wanted a 32" size screen but did not want to spend a bundle on a LCD monitor. I have a very nice 27" LCD for CAD work but it was 160% more in cost than the Sceptre. I did not find a way to manually change the TV settings or an auto-detect as you suggest. There is a PC input setting but I would have to use the DVI to VGA cable to allow that input to light up.
thanks,
Jim

On my tv the way to set it up is to bring the source list up and while it is still on the screen press options or tools and then I can change each input. I changed HDMI to pc and it corrected the weird edges and colours.
!