What are the best all-in-one computers these days for gaming?

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
What are the best all-in-one computers these days for gaming?

(I understand it would be cheaper and more powerful to go for a traditional case and external monitor, but I am interested in an all-in-one)

I hope this forum is the right one for this question, couldn't find any subsection more fitting..

Thanks for all replies :)

All-in-ones are not recommended for gaming. As said above, most of them are just immobile laptops. They suffer the same drawbacks that laptop gaming offers such as cooling issues, lack of upgradeability, and high cost to get a decent GPU, all without the advantage of mobility.

I would say just make some room on your desk or somewhere nearby for an actual desktop. If you are absolutely set on an all-in-one and are willing to pay a huge price premium for one that is specced for gaming, look for something that has a top end laptop GPU like the Radeon HD 7970m or GTX 680m. That will get you something equivalent to a midrange gaming desktop built today. Just be aware that you probably will not be able to upgrade the graphics, so you will have to buy a new computer in a couple of years when the GPU starts to fall behind the latest titles. You may be able to get more life out of it if you are willing to accept reduced detail settings as time goes on. Ultimately, a desktop is much better for gaming, you can get better cooling solutions, so you don't have to worry about overheating issues, and you can drop in a new graphics card in a couple of years when you feel you need more GPU horsepower.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Wait till the A10-5700 is more readily available, may find it in some all-in ones. they will be ok for light gaming, but don't expect to play BF3 on ultra, or high, medium maybe.

also, touch screens is what MS designed Windows 8 piece of crap for. It will be ok with a touch screen, mouse = wacky controlling metro.

wait a month or 2 and see what happens.

Menigmand

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll wait a bit and see if they make an all-in-one that's a bit bigger and can take single-slot dedicated graphics.

Or if I can find one with a 7970m or similar at a discount as time goes by.

maucerit

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Maingear alpha is a all in one that supports desktop GPU's up to a 680 and is touch. Just bought my second PC from Maingear seriously can not explain how great a company this is I live in NJ so picked up my PC and owner gave me a tour everyone there loves PCs and you can tell by the way they do their job. So idk if origin PC or anyone else has a all in one but I know maingear does starts at like 1000 and again desktop GPU not mobile versions

Nice reference Maucerit.

Other option is to buy a gaming laptop and use it as an all-in-one. There are many good gaming laptops so you have options on pricepoint vs. performance.

Note: when you compare a regular desktop to a gaming laptop or all-in-one AMD and nvidia are not helping you decide. They use a different naming system that re-uses the same names. For example, you'd expect a 7870 (desktop) and a 7870M (laptop) to use the same chip. They don't "The design of the Radeon 7800M series has its roots to the Cape Verde chip as found, for example, on the desktop Radeon HD 7770 with 640 1D shader cores and 40 texture units. However it but has a core clock of only 800 MHz versus the 1000 MHz of the HD 7770. As a result, general performance of the HD 7870M is expected to lie somewhere between the 7750 and 7770 desktop Radeon cards." http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7870M.73856.0.html The desktop HD7750 and 7770 are solid cards, but they are not close in price or performance to a desktop HD7850. (7870M for laptops however uses hugely less power than a desktop HD7870).

tleonard94

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
You guys should check out www.cratecomputers.com they seem to have a lineup of machines that be exactly what your looking for! Total upgrade ability and the full power of a desktop PC.