Problems with cooling

harshil123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Hi, I'm having problems with my current homebuild regarding temperature problems. Currently, the temperture on idle is:

http://puu.sh/1Djaf

Which also shows my specs, I have 2 stock fans, and 2 extra fans I've added at the front (although, I think they make it worse then better). Any ideas?

suteck

Distinguished
What cpu cooler are you using? It looks like you need to remove the cpu heatsink and clean both it and the cpu surfaces then reapply the new thermal paste and reseat the cooler, for starters.

What case do you have? How do you have the case fans set up? Which ones are blowing in and which ones are sucking out? Neither the cpu or the motherboard should be that hot. Are you overclocking anything?

harshil123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

Thanks for the reply! I've replaced the heatsink once already but dunno if it worked. Currently, it's using a stock cpu fan.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-101-AN&campaign=pcm/googleshopping/PUP_Cases/Antec/CA-101-AN&pup_c=gs

That's the case I have. As regards to fans, I have to additional front fans, which I think are these (not sure):

http://www.ebuyer.com/239613-coolermaster-120x120x25mm-sickleflow-red-led-case-fan-r4-l2r-20ar-r1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

And no, there is no overclocking or anything ;/

suteck

Distinguished
You have a nice case that allows for great air flow if your fans are set up correctly. Ideally, I would put 1 front fan blowing air into the case, 1 side fan blowing air into the case, 1 rear fan sucking air out of the case and the top fan sucking air out of the case. There are probably several different ways to accomplish the same thing but to me that would be the best setup. Just try to make sure you have about the same cfm's coming in as you do going out. Is that about what you have? If not give that a try and/or let us know what the set up is. Does it make a difference if you leave the side cover off? If you do all these things and don't see any or very little difference (as you should) then that pretty much rules out the case air flow as the problem.

The stock cpu heatsink/fan is usually all you need for a stock setting cpu. As long as there was sufficient but not too much thermal paste on them, meaning you should make sure their surfaces are clean before applying the thermal paste, or, if the stock heat sink already had the thermal paste on it, and, it hasn't already been used, the cpu top was clean to make sure you have a good connection. And make sure the heatsink is SECURELY FASTENED and that all 4 clips are completely seated and locked in place.

Other than the Periform Speccy, where are you seeing the temperatures? When you start your computer, go into bios and check your temps in the hardware monitoring section for the cpu cores and motherboard there. Are they about the same as the report you linked? Are they any or much different? Have you tried running

CORETEMP HERE
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

to see if it confirms what you are seeing? What about the hardware monitoring states like C1 and thermal throttling. Do you have those active in the bios? That should slow down the cpu so it doesn't overheat. Not that it should have to be throttled, I'm just asking to cover bases.

harshil123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Once again thanks for the help! The fans I have are in the link, I'm not to sure if they are intake or out-take, but I think they're intake. Might consider changing them. I'll try taking the side cover off and let you know how that goes.

I've been told that the CPU stock fan is never too good so its a worthy investment changing it. Plus, if I do manage to get these temperatures under control, I'll probably over clock it.

I changed the thermal paste last year, maybe it could be that I didn't do it properly or seat the heatsink properly? Would there be a error if it wasn't seated correctly.

I'm positive the temperture readings are not a false positive, I've used various measures not just Speccy, so it's defo a problem.

Hardware, and the graphics card tempertures seem fine as my first post picture shows, so I reckon it must be something to do with the thermal paste or heatsink not in place properly. Do you have a tutorial or a good video link on how to do it correctly?