GTX 550ti vs AMD 7770

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I have two systems, one with a 7770 and one with a GTX 550ti. I asked a while ago which one was better and everyone said the 7770 is better, however I am getting extremely low FPS with the 7770.

I have only tested the game Minecraft, with the system that has the 550ti I am getting around 160 inside a room in Minecraft. However with the 7770 I am only getting 90-100fps also inside the same room, the card drops to around 60fps too. Could it be the driver version of the card, it is 12.8. Is the 550ti actually better than the 7770?

1st System
MSI GTX 550Ti
Core i5 2400
OCZ Modular Pro 600w

2nd System
HIS iCooler AMD 7770
Pentium G850
Corsair CX500 500w

I really don't understand, could the G850 be bottlenecking the 7770?

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Switch the GTX 550ti and put it In the system that has 7770? I could try that but it's at someone else's house now. If I got a core i3, would it fix the issue or would I need a core i5?

I didn't think it was the processor because there is a video on YouTube with someone playing BF3 with a 6870 and it reaches 60fps on Ultra.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Ahhh okay, the PC was for a friend. Both machines are 8gb ddr3 1333mhz. However mine is Kingston the other is G.Ski. We also read out our memory usage while playing on Minecraft and his PC was using more ram than mine, his was using 29% mine was using 15%.

Someone wrote that its CPU intensive, the G620 can run GTA 4 on pretty good settings so the G850 should do well also right?

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Another thing I forgot to mention was that when installing the drivers I got a wrong gou configuration error which I believe was from the program Lucid, I removed the program and then went into the BIOS. There were two graphics options, PCI and PCI Express. By default it was set to PCI Express, the card is being recognized so should I leave it at that or put PCI?

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Yeah probably also because it hasn't been optimized recently. So basically the problem with the low fps is the G850? If I get a core i3 would I get higher fps or would would I nedd a core i5? I should try other games to see, it plays Blacklight well but my friend lowered all the settings.

GTAIV just doesn't run well on any computers. My computer is pretty high powered (or so I think) and it barely pulls those frames.

Basically the developers pulled the game from the console and said "Here you go PC!" That's why it doesnt work well.

If you already have the computer, don't spend the extra money just to get better frames in GTAIV imo.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Its set to off, is there a way that Windows can set the VSync for every game? Thats the only thing I am guessing that could be giving the fps cap. Or that Lucid program which im guessing is what screwed everything up. I dont understand why ASRock would have Lucid in the CD for Main Drivers.

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

This isn't your situation exactly and there are many other variables in my example, but I can reaffirm processor bottle-necking can be a problem, and that vanilla Minecraft doesn't tax the GPU that hard as other stated. Also, if this chart is any value it implies that the 7770 is a better performing card than the 550 Ti: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I used to have a Pentium IV @ 3.0GHz running with an ATI 4470 or Nvidia 7950GT (Had each card at different times). I can tell you I got crappy frame rates (even in creative mode/vanilla) with my processor often running at or near 100%. I built a new computer with an i5-3570 and a GTX 550 Ti. Now I'm running HD texture packs with Optifine and the improvement is night and day. Yes, these are completely different systems, but even with HD texture packs the GPU isn't being worked all that hard (if you haven't noticed Minecraft isn't graphically intense at all, you could probably run it on today's integrated Intel graphics. Heck, you can even play the game in your browser). Also, in the past I couldn't multitask with Minecraft running on the Pentium. Now this is not an issue.

In summary, it's probably the processor bottle-necking, and no I don't think you have to have an i5. My brother's Core2Duo laptop handles Minecraft pretty well (he does have discrete ATI graphics, but I can't remember what model). Hope this gives you some insight.

EDIT: Also, 60FPS is nothing to complain about. Since these are different systems they could have different background programs running, different versions of Java installed. It would be a more fair comparison if both comps had a fresh windows install.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
They were both fresh windows installs, the PC with the 550ti is older and has more programs in it (all from big companies) and runs better. The system with the 7770 had win7 just installed when we tried the fps. I do remember now he had an XFast Lan program that stayed open which probably used more of the ram.

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Are you talking to me? I'm asking why my GTX 550ti outperform by so much more fps when graphs and people said the 7770 was a bit faster.
Both have the same versions of Java? The standard version they'll give you is 32-bit, you have to manually get the 64-bit.
Also, did you get the drivers from the card manufacturer or from ATI and Nvidia? Often times the card manufacturers drivers can be very out of date, even if you downloaded them from their website.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

The first one I installed was 32bit, then I went and downloaded Windows Offline Mode 64bit Java, which is the same version I installed on the other PC. The ATI drivers I first downloaded from the CD then upgraded from ATI website. You just reminded me, I should try updating the BIOS and the chipset for to keep everythig up to date.

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Are you talking to me? I'm asking why my GTX 550ti outperform by so much more fps when graphs and people said the 7770 was a bit faster.

Well, first, before posting, do make sure to learn how to conduct fair experiments. Use the same components for testing and only one difference. Also, Your game test is a wrong game. Minecraft is a fail game in terms of coding. Use something like battlefield 3 or mw3. Mw3 would be good as both cards will run it and the performance difference will be noticeable. Your pentium sucked on minecraft btw. That caused the bad fps.

vik61

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

no, a G850 wont bottleneck a 7770, it wont even bottleneck a 6950, and the 7770 is 25-30% faster than the gtx 550ti, thats a big difference, try updating your driver