Should I buy now or wait?

mike88931

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Actually, this is for my friend who is too lazy to research himself so i decided to help him out lol. Anyway, he was going to make a new build soon but then heard that AMD would be releasing their 8000 series cards q1 2013 which is not far off at all. He wanted to know whether sli-ing two 4gb ftw edition 670's would last a long time and whether he should just buy them now or wait the coulpe months until amd supposedly is releasing next gen cards which would obviously be better and last longer.

ever see the movie "Bachelor Party" ?......... tom hanks was at his bachelor party and the guy who was the fathers kissass favorite wanted to marry the girl and he offered tom his brand new porche for the girl.................... and tom was "thinking" it over.......... the girl or the car, the girl or the car.................. same thing here. should i buy or should I wait /???.......... the girl or the car ????

ram1009

Distinguished

There's always something to wait for. Only you can decide.

MC_K7

Distinguished
JackNaylorPE is right in the sense that there are always new upcoming products around the corner so it never ends and never seem like a good time to upgrade.

Just one GTX 670 is a hell of a card. Two in SLIs? Of course it will last a long time.

My suggestion is to buy what you need today...today.
If you wait, you will wait forever.

There will always be better price/performance parts being launched.

If, for example, 4 years ago, you bought two top end GTX285 cards in sli for $400 each, how good would you feel today when a single good card like a GTX660ti would perform better at a fraction of the price?

You would have been better served over time to just sell a card when it no longer suits your needs, and replace it with the next best thing.

If budget is no object, buy a GTX690.
Otherwise, a GTX670 will be very good for any single monitor gaming.
The extra price premium for a GTX680 does not seem worth it.
Neither does 4gb of vram vs. 2gb.

MC_K7

Distinguished
Good point by geofelt, 2 GB on a GPU is enough, they just charge a premium price for 4 GB versions but you're not likely to see any difference. Especially if you SLI them with 2 GB each you will have 4 GB total. Unless you game on 3 x monitors with 2560 x 1600 resolution the GPUs will never use all the memory.