Reinstalled Windows and now USB hardware no longer works

Sara

Distinguished
May 21, 2001

As the subject line stated, I just reinstalled Windows
because of some stupid error. No format, just
reinstalled overtop. I know that there are problems with
that, but I've overcome most of them. Just recently I
realized that none of my USB autoinstall drivers work. I
have a gamevoice, a memory key and a creative web cam
that all worked fine and dandy before reinstallation. Is
there any way I can fix this? Could the drivers be on
the Windows disk? If so, where?

This is very frustrating b/c I am a full time student
that no longer has access to her memory key information.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Any drivers for the devices are provided by the manufacturer and are not
part of Windows.

"Sara" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As the subject line stated, I just reinstalled Windows
> because of some stupid error. No format, just
> reinstalled overtop. I know that there are problems with
> that, but I've overcome most of them. Just recently I
> realized that none of my USB autoinstall drivers work. I
> have a gamevoice, a memory key and a creative web cam
> that all worked fine and dandy before reinstallation. Is
> there any way I can fix this? Could the drivers be on
> the Windows disk? If so, where?
>
> This is very frustrating b/c I am a full time student
> that no longer has access to her memory key information.

quite the opposite. these one ARE provided by microsoft
otherwise they never would have installed themselves
automatically the first time. since reinstalltion, im
trying to figure out why they aren't now.

Proof of this is that there is no such driver for a USB
memory key.

Sara

Distinguished
May 21, 2001

one more thing to add, i've reformatted several times
before and i've neve rhad this problem before. i KNOW it
is caused by the reinstallation right over top, and i
know that one way to fix it is to format and do a clean
install. but i don't want to, i am trying to find
another way.

Right click on the My Computer and select Properties. Click on the
Hardware tab and then on Device Manager. Find the entries for the USB
Controllers and click on each in turn, on the Drivers tab, click on Update
Driver. Remember that you will have to reinstall SP1 (or SP2 which includes
SP1) to regain USB2.0 drivers.
www.coribright.com

"Sara" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As the subject line stated, I just reinstalled Windows
> because of some stupid error. No format, just
> reinstalled overtop. I know that there are problems with
> that, but I've overcome most of them. Just recently I
> realized that none of my USB autoinstall drivers work. I
> have a gamevoice, a memory key and a creative web cam
> that all worked fine and dandy before reinstallation. Is
> there any way I can fix this? Could the drivers be on
> the Windows disk? If so, where?
>
> This is very frustrating b/c I am a full time student
> that no longer has access to her memory key information.

Sara

Distinguished
May 21, 2001

I had already done that, but it still didn't work

Try Uninstalling the USB Controllers completely and then reboot the PC. XP
should re-find and reinstall the USB ports.

You will also have to redownload the correct drivers for each hardware
device and install them BEFORE connecting the devices to the USB ports.
www.coribright.com

>I had already done that, but it still didn't work

I too am having similar problems along these lines. I have uninstalled all my
usb drivers. When I reinstall them, the system tells me they are missing or
corrupt. The ports all appear in device manager with a yellow "!" next to
them. I have installed SP2 so I don't understand what the problem is? Any
help would be appreciated.
Thanks

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try Uninstalling the USB Controllers completely and then reboot the PC. XP
> should re-find and reinstall the USB ports.
>
> You will also have to redownload the correct drivers for each hardware
> device and install them BEFORE connecting the devices to the USB ports.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Sara" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had already done that, but it still didn't work

Try the other fix as I advised Sarah: