Sign in with
Your question

Help with GTX 670 Overclocking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2012 8:02:14 PM

Hi all,

GPU: MSI Power Edition GTX 670
Drivers: 306.97 WHQL

I followed a GTX 670 overclocking guide over on overclock.net and I have run into a few problems with the overclock. Here is the link to the forum post. Basically the guide explains that you need to set the power limit to 114% to ensure maximum overclocking potential, and it also states that the voltage can safely be set to the max of 1.175V.

Unfortunately I have run into overclocking issues from a +55MHz core clock increase, bearing in mind this is with the max voltage and power limit. Originally I had a +55MHz core increase on stock power limit and voltage with no stability issues. But even with the max voltage and power limit no matter how far above the 55MHz mark I go, Unigine Heaven Benchmark comes up with an error saying the 3d device has been removed. From watching the benchmark there are no signs of artifacts on screen or any other stability issues. It simply crashes.

When looking at the power usage whilst running the benchmark it seems to only be at 82% even though the GPU utilisation is at 100%. This may just be me but the power usage appears to be out of sync from the utilisation. I'm not a pro when it comes to overclocking but I can only assume that the PSU is not supplying enough power to the GPU.

If anyone could provide any insight into this issue I would be very grateful as I am slightly disappointed that my 670 is such a poor overclocker.

More about : gtx 670 overclocking

November 2, 2012 8:27:36 PM

How much power does you psu have. This does sound reminiscent of psu not supplying enough power.
November 2, 2012 8:30:50 PM

The PSU is rated for 600W so it is I suppose on the low side in terms of power. Although I did notice another weird error, whereby the Kepler boost seems to lock at 1215MHz no matter what my offset clock is. I did some research on this and again apparently it can be anything from my motherboard, PSU or just a bad chip. But so far i'm steering towards the PSU hence the power usage seems to be rather low for 100% GPU utilisation.
Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 8:33:40 PM

Limerick said:
How much power does you psu have. This does sound reminiscent of psu not supplying enough power.
+1 and i have two 670 PE overclocked like beast! :D 
a c 81 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 8:37:52 PM

That should be more than enough for a 670 - the new series of video cards are extremely power efficient.
November 2, 2012 8:39:52 PM

Well then if it's not the PSU then it could possibly be the Bios, as I have done a lot of tuning/tweaking on my CPU, which I suppose could affect something. Although I'd rather not reset the Bios. It just seems a bit weird though since some others with this card can get 1.3GHz+ with kepler boost. Whereas mine locks at whatever the core offset.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 8:52:44 PM

chub said:
Well then if it's not the PSU then it could possibly be the Bios, as I have done a lot of tuning/tweaking on my CPU, which I suppose could affect something. Although I'd rather not reset the Bios. It just seems a bit weird though since some others with this card can get 1.3GHz+ with kepler boost. Whereas mine locks at whatever the core offset.
Yes it does seem weird if i recall correctly your PSU is decent but not good i still am not convinced it's that though i recommend you call msi tell them wtf you want the special one not the one since TH told on them lol maybe rma if they can't help you figure it out.
November 2, 2012 8:59:31 PM

Well I only really wanted to overclock it out of fun and to be honest I suppose it's not a particularly big deal but slightly disappointing.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 9:07:48 PM

chub said:
Well I only really wanted to overclock it out of fun and to be honest I suppose it's not a particularly big deal but slightly disappointing.
Understandable i had got one that did not preform like the first one i called them up and told them pretty much i know NV is riding them about the cards with unlocked voltage but that i wanted that one and if not i wanted my money back or i would sue for false Advertising since it clearly says on the box Triple Overvoltage long story sort i sent them card back and they sent me the right card back :whistle: 
November 2, 2012 9:16:40 PM

I suppose that is always an option and if it's as easy as you say then I might aswell. Otherwise I am going to try reinstalling drivers and if that fails trying some different releases.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 9:20:00 PM

chub said:
I suppose that is always an option and if it's as easy as you say then I might aswell. Otherwise I am going to try reinstalling drivers and if that fails trying some different releases.
It's not easy i fought for a week with them had my lawyer contact them let them know i was serious but in the end got what i wanted :D 
November 2, 2012 9:21:49 PM

Yeah. Try and get a new card and see if that fixes the prblem. I'm still adamant on it being a psu problem. BTW what brand? If it's a Cooler Master, or raidmax, or some weird generic crap, that may be also the problem.
November 2, 2012 9:24:19 PM

Limerick said:
Yeah. Try and get a new card and see if that fixes the prblem. I'm still adamant on it being a psu problem. BTW what brand? If it's a Cooler Master, or raidmax, or some weird generic crap, that may be also the problem.

Well it's an OCZ PSU, that about sums it up.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 9:27:02 PM

chub said:
Not really what model is it if you don't mind me asking as some are good and some are crap
November 2, 2012 9:29:12 PM

From the manual it says it is a OCZ ModXStream-Pro 600W PSU.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 9:39:52 PM

chub said:
From the manual it says it is a OCZ ModXStream-Pro 600W PSU.
Just checked it supposedly not great but it is a decent budget power supply hmmm.... i don't know bro i can't call it
November 2, 2012 9:43:46 PM

Okay, thanks for the help. On the side though is there anything that would help me in terms of overclocking the 670 as for all we know it could be something i'm doing wrong? But GPU-Z doesn't help as even on stock speeds it says the chip has a boost clock of 1098MHz but then when I check on the sensors it boosts to 1149MHz.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 9:47:32 PM

Not sure i followed the same tutorial you did there is a certain bios floating around on the net that can help improve performance but i don't recommend it unless you know how to re flash your bios.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 9:53:08 PM

I can give you link in private if you want it but again if you don't know what your doing it's not a good idea
November 2, 2012 9:55:26 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I can give you link in private if you want it but again if you don't know what your doing it's not a good idea

That would be good, thank you.
November 2, 2012 10:07:01 PM

I did another quick look around the web and it would appear that many of the MSI Power Edition cards are boosting a lot higher than they are rated for. This probably explains why my boost clocks are higher than they are meant to be therefore the cause of instability.

So with my +55 core offset I should get a boost of around 1153, but in the sensors it is infact 1202MHz. Although that still isn't a great overclock it does explain why I was only able to achieve such a small core offset. The only problem now is that I have to live with a much lower baseclock. And with even +60MHz it must upset the boost clock as instead of boosting to 1202 it goes to 1215, so in effect the two clocks are out of sync with one another.
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 11:38:22 PM

chub said:
That would be good, thank you.
Sent
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2012 12:08:13 AM

chub said:
I did another quick look around the web and it would appear that many of the MSI Power Edition cards are boosting a lot higher than they are rated for. This probably explains why my boost clocks are higher than they are meant to be therefore the cause of instability.

So with my +55 core offset I should get a boost of around 1153, but in the sensors it is infact 1202MHz. Although that still isn't a great overclock it does explain why I was only able to achieve such a small core offset. The only problem now is that I have to live with a much lower baseclock. And with even +60MHz it must upset the boost clock as instead of boosting to 1202 it goes to 1215, so in effect the two clocks are out of sync with one another.
Return it for refund if your that unhappy is my recommendation bud good luck! :) 
November 3, 2012 12:24:35 AM

chub said:

Ehh... Not the best brand out there, that's for sure. I still don't think it can be a card issue though. But a psu upgrade is costly. I really think it's a psu problem. I overclock alot and I've had my fair share of problems with psu's before. And it sounds exactly like the one I had about 2 year's ago. I was doing some work on my friend's computer (he asked me to overclock his gpu, but he didn't tell me he had a cooler master.) And I kept getting just crashes, exactly like yours.
!