Sign in with
Your question

First build advice on mobo and other components

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2012 3:09:52 AM

Building a system around a i5-3570k. I already have an ASUS GTX 660 OC DirectCU II that was given to me as a gift. I also have a Rocketfish RF-500wps2 power supply which I bought about a year ago when my old one died (i'm sure its not great and if I need/should replace it I will). Mainly looking for opinions/advice on mobos but also on other components. Will be using rig for gaming, digital photography (Canon 50D) and internet.
Here is what I was thinking...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k (plan to do moderate overclocking)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 ...or
Silver Arrow ...or
can I get away with something like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo?
MOBO: ASUS P8z77-V Pro (can get for $170 with CPU) ...or
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ...or
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ...or
Biostar TZ77XE3
GPU: ASUS GTX 660 OC DirectCU II (may get a second GPU in future)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600...or
G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB 2.5" SSD ...or
OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB SSD ...or
Samsung 840 250GB SSD
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64mb cache HDD

Thanks for all opinions, help and info

December 21, 2012 3:37:47 AM

you want a 750w power supply for your rig. it have all the wattage you need and some head room for one card. if you think your going to sli later then put in an 850w power supply. ssd are best used for the os drive and one or two games or main apps. i have an intel 120g 520 ssd most of my games are on my data drive. if you have a local micro center the still doing a 40.00 off bundle for cpu and motherboards. for ram by the ares or low profile ram to fit under most after market heat sinks the older ram heat pipes are know to hit the top of after market heat sinks. with computer case make sure of the hight of the case. some cases have 160mm cpu cooler max hight. also if there a fan in the window..it going to hit most tall coolers. the second lenth and look out point is the gpu card lenth. and the hard drive bays. newer cases like the r400/r500 let you remove the bays or there no bays where the gpu would line up. with mb stay with asus/gigbyte/asrock/msi. the first two for the money have the best mb and lowest doa rate. when you put your rig together..be care full with the cpu slot cover. dont want to bend the pins under it. when you remove it have a flash light and a magnifier and look for bent pins. (i gotten a new mb with a bunch of smashed pins from the mb being tossed/crushed in shipping.) if the slot is fine then care fully drop the cpu in and lock it in. It smart to bread board the system outside the case...post it once so you know it working then place it inside the case.
December 21, 2012 12:28:52 PM

I disagree with the above post. No need to install a 750w psu if you're going to only use one video card.

The Evo 212 will be cheaper and meet your OC needs.
There are many mobos to choose from. Maybe the Asus P8Z77V-LK, since it's a nice mid-range motherboard and by saving a few $$$ allows you to splurge on the Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
!