Should I wait for Geforce 700 series?

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hi community,

Planning to get a GPU at the Christmas time, but then when I think about it, by that time, a new series of Nvidia or AMD cards should be released. Personally I can't afford the high-end cards, I am more interested on the mid-range cards, like the GTX 760 or the 760 Ti. Do you think it's worth the wait to wait for "big" kepler?

Solution
amd will definately by then release their entire suite(except the possibility of an 8990) by then. nvidia on the other hand is only a chance, as their mid range cards were released this september, and if it was june-august, the card hasn't felt a full years release yet, but who knows, I dont decide when they release the cards.

IMO

wait for the AMD 8k cards. and let the first 2 nvidia cards get released: 780 and 770. with that information, you should be able to estimate the rough approx performance you would expect from a 760(or 760ti if they decided to run one.) then make your decision.
if you are going to wait for mid range 7xx series, you have just uner a years wait before its going to be released. so whatever your actions are, its going to be a long time if you picked this route, it seems like it was only yesterday that the 660ti/660 were released.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
You will be waiting a while for a 760(ti) they will come a good bit after the 680/670...the midrange cards are prob about 6-9 months away at least...

Might be worthwhile seeing what AMD brings to the table though

amd will definately by then release their entire suite(except the possibility of an 8990) by then. nvidia on the other hand is only a chance, as their mid range cards were released this september, and if it was june-august, the card hasn't felt a full years release yet, but who knows, I dont decide when they release the cards.

IMO

wait for the AMD 8k cards. and let the first 2 nvidia cards get released: 780 and 770. with that information, you should be able to estimate the rough approx performance you would expect from a 760(or 760ti if they decided to run one.) then make your decision.

Solution

to be fair, thats what kinda happened this generation. the 660ti was faster than the 580. so it wouldn't be anything new.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I see. I also heard of rumors that the GTX 760 Ti have the same amount of CUDA cores as the GTX 680 have, and its based on the Gk114 chip. I hope the "big" kepler cards can compete with AMD on computing. The Geforce 600 series was just so bad at it.

it is to be expected to see that kind of performance jump when moving into smaller node but within the same node you're not going to see that unless they increase the chip die size.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

That's true. I heard about the GK110 will be a larger chip than the GK104. I wonder if power consumption will rise up also...

i don't think 760Ti will use big chip like GK110. chip such as GK110 will most like land on nvidia flagship card like 780. there are rumors that upcoming 760 Ti will be based on GK114. if this is true power consumption wise 760Ti will not consume more than power than GTX680. and that's not counting tweaking that nvidia might done to the chip to further drop the power consumption of the chip. if they did we will most likely to see a higher clocked chip (hence more performance) for the same power consumption