Building my very first computer! Need some inspiration.

hotarrows223

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Hey guys, I've been using this forum for a really long time as a source for everything I might need. I am deciding to build a gaming PC, conveniently during the holidays (more monies!). I know quite a lot about computers, just seeking some advice on how these components compare to the 1000+ other options. Here is my build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t2Mh

You'll notice there isn't a CPU on that list because I work for Geek Squad and I'm part of Intel's Retail Edge. They have a holiday deal going on at the moment in which an i7-3770k is going for $95. I've currently already paid for it as well.

Any advice? Suggestions? Concerns? Etc?

Thanks guys!

Josh

hotarrows223

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Sorry guys! I just know found this threat. Better late than never I suppose!

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: After the holidays

Budget Range: Probably around 1,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High End Gaming (ULTRA graphics)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Don't currently own any parts besides my i7-3770k CPU

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Tigerdirect, Best Buy (EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT! WOOP!)

Parts Preferences: I'm really partial to ASUS motherboards, but I'm very open to what people might suggest.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future, or if the budget allows it

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Currently playing on a Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, which isn't bad for gaming, just want something that I can enjoy a little more.

I made a better build with a new screen as well!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($354.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $972.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-21 10:06 EST-0500)

hotarrows223

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Wow! Well actually, I already have 2 monitors so I won't be buying a new one. It's just not logical to do that (IMO). As for the PSU, I was unaware how many watts I actually needed so I was probably overkilling it. I like $40 ( :D )! Is it worth it to actually get the G.Skill sniper RAM, because it's higher frequency? Or really not? Same thing with the MOBO...?

No on the RAM - real world gaming or general use there's not tangible benefit to higher clocked ram. I'd recommend 1600MHz 1.5V with the tightest timings you can get a a reasonable price point (seems to be 9-9-9-24 give or take).

If you have the space I'd still get the new monitor unless you don't play first person games. Having an inch of bezel splitting my field of view would run me nuts. Plus, the 7970 can drive them especiallly since the other two are lower rez. Or... Game on the new screen, keep chat, temps, etc on an old one and sell the other old one for $50 to further offset the cost. Apologize for my rambling opinion... Slow day at work.

hotarrows223

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Alright, that makes sense. Now for the graphics card... after reading reviews about that card on Newegg, it's starting to detour me. It seems every other review is having issues of some sort. I'm partial to EVGA mostly because I work at Best Buy and we get a discount on graphics cards (although not very much). Just asking opinions again..

Thanks!

hotarrows223

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah I understand that. Well, I might bump my price point up to the GTX 670. It's cheaper than the one listed and has great reviews. I'm still up in the air about a MOBO. There is just so damn many of them! haha

I've had Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and most recently ASRock and no problems with any of them /shug. I've been really happy with the Extreme4. You don't need a $200 board for a decent OC and a nice features.

Does the NCIX deal on the 7970 come with the free games? That's something to consider as well if they're games you'd play.

hotarrows223

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

That's true. The EVGA cards come with Assassins Creed III. The 7970 comes with FarCry3 and Medal Of Honor and 2 other games I've never heard of. Not really much of a selling point to me.